PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
OK everyone, I have completed the second entry into my blog, and I have given some thought to giving it a proper name. The Pipe Novelist blog has now been renamed "Keepers of the Flame," sort of an ode to the young generation of pipe smokers who will hopefully keep this hobby alive for decades to come. Now the first article for the blog was well received, so here I submit another article filled with all manner of frivolous frugality and economic pipe enjoyment. Hope you guys like this one, I had a lot of fun writing it. Feel free to leave comments and thank you! A Guide to Ebay Pipe Buying
A quick P.S.: The formatting on this one should be correct this time. The last one was thankfully saved by Kevin who was kind enough to step in and help the klutz who was unfamiliar with the software. :oops:

Jul 15, 2011
Judging from most of the comments left on the article, I got a lot of overseas readers on this one, which makes me very happy! Good to see that our friends across the pond are exploring the site. And a big thank you to all our friends here in the U.S. who are reading as well! :puffy:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Great read Eric !
Just purchased a couple on eBay to expand my very small newbie collection. i'll post a picture catalog once I have them all in.
Food for thought. I have a blog out there and am thinking of writing a little series called "Diary of a new pipe smoker". Somewhat pulling together the info I gathered. Mostly a summary from this forum and a couple of others. Documenting a step-by-step process that may be helpful for those that come after me and will eventually venture down the same paths I am treading now.
I saw the option to create a blog here on the magazine, but it seems to be disabled ? Or am I doing something wrong ? If it's disabled, I'll dump it out on Wordpress or something. No Biggie
Cheers

Mick

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
As one who does buy pipes off eBay, you have hit the nail on the head! I have gotten some great smoking pipes on eBay, and after about a dozen or more purchases, only had one that was not what it was billed as. eBay pipes are a great way to practice restoration, and every now and then I get a real gem.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Nice job. One suggestion though, 95% FB is terrible. Anything less than 99% FB and you should do a little digging before buying anything from that seller.

Jul 15, 2011
One suggestion though, 95% FB is terrible.
I bought some used pipe racks off a guy whose FB was something like 96.8. It was a real gamble, but again, I paid absolutely nothing for them, a combined total of 4 racks for $10.It was a real gamble, but like I said in the article, for that price it was worth the gamble to me. It paid off big time and the racks were really nice. Any more than that and I would have backed away.

Status
Not open for further replies.