PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Just picked up a Barling's Make saddle stem billiard. Stamped BARLING'S (arched) over MAKE, shape 1372 on the left. MADE IN LONDON over ENGLAND on the right, no other stamping. Bowl and shank are in good shape with mild inner and outer wear at the two o'clock position, stamps are crisp. Stem is original, the cross is so faint as to be almost non-existent, but it is there. Nothing seen on the bottom of the stem, very good stem to shank fitment. Heavy tooth indentations top and bottom.

$45.00 out the door.
Putting a bowl of Haddo's Delight through as I write.
It has been a very good day.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Good score! By way of comparison, I was gifted a new production Barling straight bulldog last year. It cost twice as much as yours, and, well, it's a pipe. You did very well with that old-school one.

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I haven't found a good score in months, so I'm pretty happy. I wonder if the seller thought it wasn't a family era pipe due to the 4 digit nomenclature? Either way, this should make the wife happy since I have been coveting a very nice pipe online (that is listed for just to much money), and this is taking the edge off of that desire...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Congrats on a great catch! From the description of the stampings it probably dates from the late 1930's thru late 1940's. Take a look at the underside of the stem with a strong light and a loupe or magnifier. See if you can see any remnants of "REG'd" or numbers stamped on the underside near the join to the shank. That would place the period of manufacture between 1936 and 1950.

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I have a YOW TVF with a reg'd number on the bottom of the stem to compare it to, I don't see any evidence of a stamp on the bottom of the stem on the new pipe. Additionally, the barling's make stamp on the shank is slightly smaller on the just purchased pipe with the arched barling's not coming down as far over the sides of the MAKE stamp (if that makes sense).
The grain is much better, a mix of straight and flame all the way around the circumference of the bowl, than the cross graining on my YOW pipe.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Additionally, the barling's make stamp on the shank is slightly smaller on the just purchased pipe with the arched barling's not coming down as far over the sides of the MAKE stamp (if that makes sense).
This is part of what helps date the pipe, in addition to MADE IN LONDON ENGLAND vs MADE IN ENGLAND, also the lack of a size mark, though from what I was looking at earlier 1372 is EL in size. This is anecdotal, but I've also noticed very nice grain on pre-war English pipes, not only Barling's but quite a few Sasieni "seconds". If you haven't read it, see here for some Barling's talk,
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/help-dating-pre-trans-barling#post-484716
and of course,
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/show-off-your-barlings-here

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dave,
Thanks for providing the link to that Barling discussion from 2 years ago. Since then I've had the opportunity to look at some very interesting and informative early Barlings. I can state that Barling began using their 4 digit numbers as early as the 1920's and probably earlier. While Barling rarely stamped model numbers on their early pipes, several have turned up with hallmarks from the early to mid 1920's. I've also been able to correlate a couple of Barlings with model stamps to corresponding pipes in the circa 1918 Barling catalog, so the numbering system was a constant until it was all revised in 1962. All these old Barlings with model numbers and hallmarks feature the old orific bits that Barling used up to the late 1920's. And a couple of hallmarked pieces have turned up with size stamps that date as early as 1925. I'm collecting photos of these very rare pipes.

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Thank you all for this great information. I an going to assume from the small BARLING'S MAKE stamp, MADE IN LONDON ENGLAND stamp and lack of sizing that this most likely a late thirties-early forties pipe (knowing nothing is certain without a hallmark).
It would figure that I would find this great little pipe about two months after I caved and purchased my first family era barling from Nathan Mattia!

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Working on the stem with 6000 grit sanding sticks revealed that there IS a stamp on the back, Reg'd over 42/ (rest written off). This will help tighten it's date of manufacture to after 1942, if I understand correctly?

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
@DoctorBob, great find!
@Sabledbrush52 said...

so the numbering system was a constant until it was all revised in 1962
Morning Jesse,
If the pic shows, it's a 1372 (R), no size, pencil shank, small bowl billiard, clearly not the same shape as DoctorBob's. Saw the same as mine, #1372, better condition, on eBay a few months back.
I remember other instances of same #, different shape (apples comes to mind) but I don't remember the specifics.
How common do you find that this happened?
Barling 1372 R

Status
Not open for further replies.