PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
In between the bowl blowouts today I tried on a new series.
Son Sam's girlfriend was over last night and she was talking about finishing Season One of "Peaky Blinders." Now, she's a doll, pre-med, smart as a whip but a real girly-girl. (No disrespect meant. Susie and I raised rough and tumble boys - now young men.)
I looked up "PB" on IMDB and decided to pounce.
Here's a BBC period drama, with superb production values, set in 1919 England.
The opening episode dealt with:
1. A family run criminal enterprise.

2. The accidental theft of 20 Lewis machine guns earmarked for Libya.

3. Bookmaking and fixing horse races.

4. WWI vets suffering horribly from PTSD.

5. Drinking heavily and smoking opium to quiet the demons.

6. Sam Neill as a rogue Irish cop sent over from Belfast to clean house.
Sign me up, guys. I'm all in.
Please excuse my enthusiasm as I'm pretty new to Netflix. I only joined to keep watching "Longmire" because I love the novels and the series. But "PB" diffused the vomit of watching Oklahoma State, Iowa and Notre Dame auger in at mach speeds today.
Fnord

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
This is one of my all-time favourite series. I read that they recently began filming the third season so there will be new episodes soon.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I agree. One of the greats. And I am really happy to read that there is a third season coming.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's a great series, you are going to enjoy it! Inspector Campbell has his own thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/inspector-chester-campbellpeaky-blinders
The excellent music choices also make the show enjoyable on all accounts. I'm anxiously waiting for the 3rd season.

http://www.entertainmentoutlook.com/2013/10/06/peaky-blinders-soundtrack-series-1/

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Thanks, I will check this one out. You may like Ripper Street on Netflix, wife has me hooked on it now. Semi Sherlock like in respect that it's a detective with his counterpart, with a few American's tossed in for good measure. Stories are well written, action, mystery and semi violent. It's a good watch.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
If you have Amazon Prime I highly recommend "The Man In The High Castle." The story is about life in North America after the Axis powers won WWII. First three episodes are a little slow but hang in there you will not be disappointed.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A third season has been commissioned, but no date has been set yet as to when it will air.
I liked the first two seasons a lot. Sam Neil does quite a bit of pipe smoking in it. Great writing and great cast.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I started watching S1Ep3 at halftime tonight of the Oregon-TCU blowout. Forty five minutes later my phone begin lighting up with multiple text messages from friends I'd been bitching with concerning the lackluster bowl season. TCU was clawing their way back into the game and I flipped over to ESPN in time to watch them tie it up and then win in Triple OT!
Back to PB. Bradley, I get where you coming from. I finally activated the CC feature on our TV tonight because I was missing too much of the dialogue due to the accents and brogues. And, thank you, Al, for the music link. The modern music is such a weird juxtaposition with a series set almost a century ago - yet it fits.
Cillian Murphy's Thomas Shelby is one of the most compelling characters I've seen in years and the writers in this first season are to be commended. Shelby is tortured by what he witnessed in France, yet the compassion he shows for that beautiful white horse he won from the Lee family of gypsies sucks the viewers in. Yet, a few scenes later he's holding a Webley revolver on his childhood friend who saved his life during the war, became a Communist agitator and impregnated his sister. I'll be go to hell. It's going to be a treat watching this onion get peeled.
I don't want to binge-watch this show. Each episode is so well done that I want a few days to think over the dialogue and the acting. There's some craftsmanship here that's as good as it gets.
Fnord

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks for the heads up!

Could not stop watching this, love it!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Many thanks. I was recently turned on to "Luther" on 'Flix. Stars Idris Elba and that naughty Wilson woman. (Ruth). Great series.

Status
Not open for further replies.