PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Have you ever cued up your cart online with items and the just zeroed it out and bought nothing? I have a seemingly unlimited ability to torture a purchase, even as a kid roaming the dime store deciding how to spend my 89 cents, such that the manager was highly suspicious of me as a shoplifter. I wasn't. That was the problem, I wanted to be sure about how I spent my 89 cents, not steal the stuff I might have wanted. It's rare for me to get as far as filling the cart and then aborting the mission. Has it ever happened to you? I think I just decided I was buying the pipe for its discount, and the blend wasn't my thing. Unusual, but it has happened to me.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Oh I do that all the time, its much cheaper than actually buying the pipes. Sometimes I will find a pipe I like, cart it up and wait a little while. More often than not when I look at it again, I am not drawn to it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have done this several times. Load up with what I want, then look it over and decide if the total package is worth the price tag. Sometimes I buy it all. Sometimes I knock a few things off. Sometimes I shoot the whole order right in the brains. All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I do this as a matter of practice.
For every cart full I purchase there have been a dozen filled and abandoned. I feel bad for the digital clerks that have to re-shelve the full carts of merchandise I leave at the site's entrance when I log off... 8)
jay-roger.jpg

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet.
I'm not sure what that means but I like it :D
Anyway, yeah I do it as well. Although more often than not I login and save my cart so I don't have to hunt through the website again to recreate my order. I just let it percolate in the back of my mind for a day or two and then make a decision.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I usually just load up a cart and wait till I’ve accumulated the funds for it. I check it just about daily and reevaluate each and everything in the cart. Sometimes I end up just scrapping the whole purchase when I get the opportunity to make it. The Pipes and Cigars website usually clears my cart in a few days time frame, this could be a large reason why the only tobaccos I buy from them tend to be impulse buys.

hsnzz

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2018
chicagopipeclub.com
If I read/hear something enticing about a tobacco blend I rush to add it to the cart, only to remove most of the items because I don't feel so strongly about them anymore at a later time (or after reading tobaccoreviews). I think its my way of avoiding buyers remorse and my vain attempt to limit myself from buying thing on a daily basis. Oddly enough smoking pipes does have a "move to wish list" feature, which I use quite often, but I find it painful to review the items on the wish list. Its all the things I would buy if I had the extra cash - there is always wishful thinking!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Have you ever cued up your cart online with items and the just zeroed it out and bought nothing?
To answer your question. Yes, I have.

Seldom do I zero it out though. I usually will load the cart and then go back and delete a few items later.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very reassuring, guys. Usually I do all the gee-and-hawing in my head, but actually acting out and entering the items and then cancelling the whole shebang seemed pretty negative, but now it just seems like another way of considering the purchase. This gives me permission to fill up the cart and zero it out at will. Not that I won't go back and order some of the same items again, but it is another way of thinking it over. I'm at the place where I have plenty of tobacco for my needs, and I sure don't need pipes, but I often hear the harkening call. Anyone else do this? Or not?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
All the time. I am so glad SP has the "move to wishlist" option when reviewing your cart. I have 40 or so pipes, but there are probably 100 on my wish list, thanks to that button.
I put some in there and then reconsider regularly. Same with tobacco.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I not only do it with pipes and tobacco, I do it with other things too. Don't ask me what the other things are because I won't tell you.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I learned that the only way to put anything in your Missouri Meerschaum wish list is to first place it in your cart. Then you can move the item to the wish list. Can't be done from the item's description page.

I am way more likely to empty my cart online than let them set a pipe that I want back into the case in person at the B&M. Where emptying my online cart is safe for my ego, because no one sees this. Having the boys at the B&M see me reject a pipe because of cost would cause some caterwauling and backslapping. So to keep my ego safe at the B&M, I keep my mouth shut until I have the dough, and all systems are go on the purchase. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I still had active accounts with online tobacco vendors if it was in the cart it was either purchased or placed in layaway. My puzzle addiction has led to a new practice. My shopping cart is my wish list and I buy them as money allows.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For whatever reasons, I never establish accounts with online retailers, but always order as a guest. I still get the paper catalogs from some, but I don't seem to get the overburdening of email, though I get some. So many online retailers send unending spam. I unsubscribe like crazy; sometimes it helps, often not.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Do it all the time. And if during the time I'm hemming and hawing, someone else snaps that pipe up and it disappears from my cart, I console myself with 'it wasn't meant to be.' :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One time I was allowed to order a pipe that then turned out to be out of stock, I think because there were just a few seconds of lag between the successful order and mine. I have had a definite sense of relief when I dawdle on the decision and the pipe or tobacco gets sold. I so much don't need another pipe! Despite myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.