PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick13

Lurker
Nov 30, 2017
Hi all,
I am a beginner in pipe smoking. as off now i am smoking corn cob country gentleman and dagner poker. i want to buy my first briar pipe. i am looking for filter jaw hanging pipe, which i can smoke for 20-30 minutes also easy to pack and maintain. I have selected 2 one savinellie and one brigham. i want forum members suggestions regarding which one is more suitable.
Savinelli: Venere Rusticated (603)
Brigham: Algonquin (223)
in tobacco i have smoked lane 1q and levant mixture. i liked lane 1q but levant is so so for me. please also suggests good bulk aeros (2-3) with good room note and flavor.
thanks,nick

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Not familiar with the Brigham but I have had several Savinelli over the years. The Savinelli have always been been a pleasure to hold and good smokers. In regards to the bulk aromatics two of my favorates are C&D Autumn Evening and Lane Dark Red. Welcome to the community.

If you are bound and determined to just smoke aromatics, and you like 1Q, then I would definitely keep that one in your rotation. You might branch out into some Samuel Gawith LTD Ed 2013, or Moontrance, or really any of the bigger name brand aromatics are going to be a good experience. Lane to me is like a candle; they smell good, but when you bite into them, they just taste blah. McClelland and C&D aros are really good also.

Just my 2cents.
As far as the pipe goes, what makes you want a filter? Between aromatics not having much flavor and just starting, a filter pipe just might wipe out any remaining flavors for you.

If it's for health reasons, then you might just want a different hobby. A filter isn't going to make the experience any healthier. And, if it is because you are getting tongue bite, then you just need to learn to sip your pipe slowly. A filter will just promote bad puffing habits, IMO.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
There are many reasons why people prefer a filtered pipe, but I am with cosmic on this one: filter + aromatic = not that good of an experience, in my honest opinion. Personally I smoke filters with some blends because they upset my stomach, or some strong virginias I have found out that they just taste better with a charcoal or balsa or whatever, depending on the blend. Now that is my reason and my personal experience, I am sure you have yours ...
As far as pipes, if you have budgeted a Savinelli that means you can afford a large number of good pipes. Don't get me wrong, I love Savinalli, they are good pipes - but for that price you can get a great number of equally good pipes. SHop around a little, see what ebay has to offer in that price range - for the price of a new sav you can get estate house hold brands that may surprise you !

Good points Maddox, and I don't hate filters in general. I have a couple of 9mm filter pipes that I will load a charcoal filter into for smoking the GH Twists and Burley Flakes in, but that is because the flavors are so harsh and coat my mouth, that the filter helps me enjoy the flavors of those better. You probably aren't going to be jumping on twists or the strong burleys right away. But eventually...

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I find balsa inserts help goopy aros. There are still some $20 Stanwell pipes @ P&C as well as $1.25 per oz Lane bulks. I would suggest trying HGL, MV-1000 and RPL-6.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Sav Venere is excellent; you might also look at Stanwell brushed finish pipes at pipesandcigars.com for about $50. For bulk aros, you might try a selection of one ounce samples from Sutliff, Lane, or Peter Stokkebye. The PS Pistachio is quite pleasant. I enjoy one of those Dagner/MM poker nose warmers, nifty.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I personally would go with the Savinelli over the Brigham. I had a Brigham once which I promptly traded in as I found their filter system restricted the draw too much.
Here's my recommended bulk tobacco's. Both the McCelland and PS blends are very good virginia's with a very light flavoring:

McClelland Fragrant Matured Cake

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Cake

Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I say go with the Savinelli pipe. The 603 is a good shape and they make excellent pipes.
As far as aromatics go, I'm not a fan of the American aros, I tend to go for the British or German aromatics myself. A great aromatic that I still love to this day is, Dan Tobacco's Blue Note and I highly recommend it. It tastes like what it smells like in the tin and it actually has some strength to it and the quality tobaccos come through in the smoke.
I also recommend trying out St. Bruno & Condor. However, calling these two aromatics isn't quite accurate, I prefer to call them scented tobaccos. Let me explain... In my opinion aromatics are blends that are topped with flavors we associate with eating, usually dessert like foods such as; vanilla, caramel, coco and so on. Scented tobaccos are more associated with fragrances such as rose, geranium and musk, they read more like an eau de toilet than a dessert. This, of course, is just my personal opinion and I'm sure others will strongly disagree with me.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I own 4 or 5 Savinellis, and 2 Brighams (with the 3 inch long maple filter)...and I use filters with both. You can actually push a pipe cleaner all the way through the Brigham filter, which I can't say about any other filter system I've tried. I find the Brigham filter system to work exactly as intended, and the Brighams I smoke have a slightly more open draw than my Savs with balsa filters. Not every pipe design smokes the same, so I don't deny that a particular Brigham may not have as open a draw as a Savinelli for another smoker; just providing my experience with pipes in my collection.
My own thoughts on aromatics and filters, since I use both a lot. Filters are designed to absorb moisture...which is exactly what they do when smoking aromatics which are typically more 'damp'. There are certainly filters which can become a bit occluded with too much moisture (certain paper filters may swell, charcoal filters may clump a bit), but I find both the Brigham maple as well as balsa filters to do an excellent job at pulling moisture from the smoke, while allowing good flow. Nobody including me can promise your experience will be identical.
I'll add these as recommended aromatics which not only smell good in the room, but also taste good:
Lane Black Raspberry

Sutliff Barbados Plantation

Sutliff Creme Brulee
Let us know how it goes!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My apologies, I didn't mention any bulk aromatics but that's because I'm not fond them for the most part. You can start with the bulk stuff and work your way up to tins and pouches. Pouches are mostly considered as cheap in America, but I find that most British pouched tobacco is top shelf on every level.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hawky, I am sorry but recommending any type of Lakeland to a newbie is in my opinion not a great idea. Lakelands are the deep end of the pool when it comes to smoking a pipe.
Try Cult Blood Red Moon( great cherry flavor) and Sutliff Molto Dolce ( great caramel flavor). Definitely go with a Savinelli pipe, throw the filter and adapter away and have at it.

I disagree Harris, not all Lakelands are alike. There are light one, harsh ones, dead grandma ones, and even fruity tooty ones. Suggesting them to a newbie is perfectly fine. You might want to branch out and give a few others a try before just swamping them all into the rose geranium genre.
But, as to what Hawky says about American aros. I think he means Lane and Sutliff blends which are devoid of any traces of actual tobacco or nicotine. Those are meant more for getting the kids into the van. But, C&D and McClelland make some quality aromatics, with balance and nicotine, some truly adult people smokes.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Due to my own in-experience I can't really comment on the pipes though I do have a savenelli onda 106 that I haven't smoked yet. I tend to use cobs for my aros.
Although I really didn't care for 1Q or RLP-6, I do enjoy McClelland's Top Quality Gold and Toasted, though it can turn a little bitter in the last third of the bowl.. I've found that emptying the ash and running a pipe cleaner halfway through helps to avoid this though.
Other bulk aro blends I've been enjoying:
Sutliff: Black Cordial

Sutliff: Frosty Mint

Russ' Candy cane
Thankfully I'm close to Peretti's so I'm enjoying their Boston Best and Ebony blends.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I have a number of Savinelli pipes and have had good experiences with them. When I started buying them, my intention was to use the adaptor, as all of my other pipes at that time were unfiltered. However, I found that the balsa wood filters didn't alter or lessen the flavor of the tobacco, so I've kept using them.
I have not yet smoked a Brigham.
Suggested bulk aromatics below.
Lane Limited: RLP-6

McClelland: M27 - Three Cherry Blend

Peter Stokkebye: Nougat

Sutliff: State Fair

nick13

Lurker
Nov 30, 2017
Thanks all for welcoming me in forum. double thanks for give great suggestions. i am going through them. regarding filter pipe i just want to use it as i have not use them and want to see the difference.
its seems to me that as a novice my focus should be on smoking as many different varieties of tobaccos as possible so as to find my own taste rather than spending money on pipes.
what do you say guys ?

nick13

Lurker
Nov 30, 2017
please also provide suggestions about G. L. Pease: Gaslight & McClelland: Grand Orientals: Smyrna No. 1 50g . are they good for beginner smoker?

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
G.L Pease has an aero that’s pretty good called Virginia Cream. Just go on smokingpipes.com and buy an ounce of 10 different things that sound good. Most Aeros are less than $3 an ounce so you can’t go wrong. As far as Pipes go, I like Savinelli but I’d try a Peterson. However those cobs would be just fine also.

Status
Not open for further replies.