PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Hi,

I bought an estate Dunhill from the 70'a and it was the same bright color red magenta as other pipes from that era. Unfortunately I made the error of trying to scrub the rim with bicycles - big mistake. The Oct cut right through the stain. Now it has the sickly look of an infection! Can anyone tell me what color and brand of dye I need?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I’ve used Fiebing’s oxblood on a few pipes and it isn’t quite right for a Dunhill match. Hopefully someone with expertise will chime in on a proper match, if one exists. You may have to blend a couple colors together.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
To get the dullness on and around the rim out, apply a thin coating of mineral oil, rub it in, then off gently. This will improve the look, and may bring out the color- depends how deeply it was absorbed, etc.

Oxblood and medium brown Leather dye. Start with the brown then double coat with oxblood. You will have to sand a tiny bit to get to the wood so the stain has a chance at each coat. As an added note: Just do the whole pipe. When you are done it will look great and no one but you will know what color it WAS before you refinished it. 600 grit and up only and take your time. You can always take more off but you can't put it back.. It's actually quite satisfying and pretty easy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sure, that's great if you don't mind spending hours on a, uh, rim job.

I'd try the easiest solution first and work my way through the others till you're satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.