PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Once again, something that I didn't know existed has become something that I desperately need!
Yeah, this one's going on my "someday" list - any good Steampunk should have a Zeppelin, after all... :P

jamestang

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
thx for you suggestion and jokes johnnyreb

i will try flake cut with it later
and it is good to see everyone like this pipe

the good thing of this pipe is no one knows it's a pipe :rofl:

May 30, 2019
Hi, Ive collected/smoked Zeppelin pipes for years. That's a L'Atlantide I think (?)
Zeppelins can be high maintenance to smoke but I like them, tho Im usually in the minority on this. I find mine works best with less moist blends, shags, and I usually pack mine gently, finger tight and then use a regular 1/4 inch head nail and pack the center tight. No matter what/how you pack they will go out in 20/30 seconds, unless your riding a motorcycle. That's like a supercharger, be careful ; )
Think of it like a shot glass for what most prefer sipping.
They also need to be lit, [hard. Puff it, stoke it, if outside/safe puff hard, it may shoot some sparks/embers. They're significantly more difficult to get going and once out take a bit to get relit. What happens is they burn out a spot and it's tough to get flame past the ash. I tamp and it will light fine then or like normal. Careful, the ash will fall out the nose when you tamp.
Also yours is missing it's clay/meerschaum? insert. It's a disc, form fit to that aluminum sleeve with two "V" shaped vents on the sides for flow and the originals have a raised clover embossed and are about 8 to 10mm deep/thick. If you reply I'll post some pix. Peace

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Trying to burn an ember on the horizontal with the draft moving similarly across that plane seems to defy physics. I think that's why, though I have seen these online for years, I've never seen one in person being smoked or otherwise. And I grew up during the great age of pipe smoking when you could see everything in the world smoked on the commuter train platform or in the smoking car over newspapers and games of poker. Even the cigar ember is burning vertically at the tip of the cigar, which this is meant to resemble. Physics is physics, and this ain't working, friends. Sure looks neat, I'll give it that.

Dec 16, 2019
I think the most common problem with these pipes is tamping, have you tested tamping it from the middle instead of the head? I think it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.