PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I’m venturing over from the cigar world and need recommendations on what to try next.

With cigars, I enjoy full flavored cigars with strong nic content and pepper, earth, cocoa, barnyard type tastes. Generally enjoy Most Nicaraguan cigars.

With pipe tobacco, I’ve only tried a few aromatics from Strauss Tobacconist...Losantiville, Ault Park, and Queen Anne’s Revenge.

What should I look for that’s readily available that could compare with the typical flavors I get off cigars I enjoy?

TIA!

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I already have a few different cob pipes! Thanks for the recommendations, I’m going to wait another day to see what else all the veterans here recommend and put in a order of 1 oz of each to try and see what I like.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Sounds to me like you might enjoy a hefty burley flake. Consider MacBaren HH Burley Flake.

For a more laid back entry point into that genre and taste profile, try the Amphora Burley Blend that came out recently.

The burley will often get you the earthy, cocoa notes and sometimes the barnyard. Perique will add the pepper, usually. Both will bring some nicotine to the game.

The Old Joe Krantz is a solid recommendation. It adds some Virginia to the two and is a decent "go to" tobacco. The perique can slap you in the puss initially. Give yourself a chance to grow accustomed to it and I think you will find it to your liking.

Last edited:

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Just know that any pipe blend is going to be more subtle than a cigar (at least in my experience). If you want a cigar, smoke a cigar. But some robust pipe blends you may enjoy include Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Burley Flake #1, and others.

Reactions: DonutLuvr

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
GL Pease Key Largo (like Robusto and Billy Budd) has a bit of cigar leaf in it. It has the heft, sweetness, spice, body and smokiness a cigar smoker might look for (this cigar-smoker loves it). It doesn't come in bulk, unfortunately, so that doesn't help with your 1 oz. sample selection. I second MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired for sure (bulk is widely available). But I also second Hap's advice: Cigars are the most cigar-like thing there is. Might as well just smoke one of them.

generalzod

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia
As someone who has also made the journey from cigars, I would suggest you not look to replicate the experience or taste of cigars, but view pipes as a new one entirely new venture. For instance, whereas you're likely use to clouds of smoke with cigars, pipes are about little whisps of smokes. Cigars are light it and forget it, pipes need to be constantly looked after. Perhaps just attack it by trying a handful of the classic blends and style and see what you like.

Cheers.

Reactions: DonutLuvr

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
thanks for all the comments, tips and suggestions! I’m placing a order tonight from one of the sponsors and will check back in once they arrive and I start sampling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.