PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It has been a while since I bought me a pipe, and I am looking for something new. I have been contemplating to buy a Dr Grabow - I know for most of you american folks it's a cheap nothing impressive pipe, but for us on the Old Continent it's simply something exotic. Not to mention, I would like to own one to remind me of the years I spend in the US. As I am looking at this brand on Amazon.de I keep seeing they have a special type of filter, which to the naked eye seems thinner and longer than your regular 9 mm filters. Can you guys educate me a tad on this subject please?

joshb

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2015
I have 4 Dr Grabow Pipes, all of which take the filter you speak of. I don't use filters, but they are I believe 6mm in size, made of paper. You should be able to get them off of Amazon as well, made either by Dr Grabow or Medico.

Happy smokes!

Josh

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
The new generation are all filtered now and while lacking the shape and finish options of the past are still great pipes. Recommend the Royalton bent Bulldog if you get a new one. Personally I don't use the filters but some do and seeing as how that's the main part of the operation keeping their doors open I'm all for people buying them.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
They also accommodate Savinelli 6mm balsa filters or balsa filters made from hobby-store stock. If you can, order a Dr. Grabow from West Virginia Smoke Shop. Not only are they a great outfit deserving of business, but you can pick the actual pipe you are buying, and not rely on a generic picture. Grabows are a great smoker and I own several, but they have gotten uglier as the years go by.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
They also accommodate Savinelli 6mm balsa filters or balsa filters made from hobby-store stock. If you can, order a Dr. Grabow from West Virginia Smoke Shop. Not only are they a great outfit deserving of business, but you can pick the actual pipe you are buying, and not rely on a generic picture. Grabows are a great smoker and I own several, but they have gotten uglier as the years go by.
I tend to run Savinelli balsa filters in my Dr. G's when I choose to use a filter. I also recommend WV Smoke Shop, they are great people over there and being able to pick your Dr. Grabow is amazing, since there are so many different variations. I would email them(or call if you don't mind making an international call) and set things up that way. I think they've been having issues with their credit card processing for the website anyway, so that would be the way to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm glad to hear that Dr. Grabow pipes, made in Sparta, N.C. foothills, have been appreciated by folks across the pond. Our esteemed poet Robert Frost had to start his poetry career in England before it launched at all in the U.S., so maybe the pipes are headed for even bigger things. I second Thenonius' suggestion on the Dr. Grabow Royalton bent bulldog, a beautiful little pipe, with an ample bowl, light weight, and sophisticated shaping. Reasonably priced and better than many. Grabows can be smoked without a filter, with a 6 mm filter of either Dr. Grabow or Medico brand, a Sav balsa filter, or with a 6 mm adaptor of the Savinelli type to slightly restrict the airway and make the pipe non-filter. A big plus with the Royalton is they have acrylic stems which I prefer to the plastic stems that come on other Dr. G's.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"I smoke nothing but DR. Grabow and cobs."
Frank, you seem enlightened.
"I had a dim view of them for a while because the guy who owns the cigar shop I go to says they are worthless"
To me that's more of an invitation to do personal investigating and determine the validity of that persons claim. Made some fine purchases and friends against the "advice" of others who deemed them "worthless".

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Well ... I did want a bulldog, but given that I live in Europe we don't have access to many of their products. I had to settle for what I could find, and hence bought a Riviera Luxury Textured. It looks like this:
718_Qgyy_6_HL._SL1500.jpg

It looks nice, and I am looking forward to it. I guess it comes with a filter, which are very expensive around here. I suppose that I could fit an OCB paper filter, or I will smoke it filterless. Over here we have these filters available, I am curious if they will fit:
s-l300.jpg

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Very nice. I have a few Dr. Grabow pipes, all nice smokers. I don't use filters in them.
Enjoy.
Recommend the Royalton bent Bulldog if you get a new one
I have one, really gorgeous pipe. It's a perfect (in proportions) bulldog shape, IMO.

I'm also intrigued by The Big Pipe.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have a few freshly restored Grabow’s from the golden era if you’re interested in any estates. Shapes and finishes they no longer make. Shoot me a private message.

Status
Not open for further replies.