PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, I don't find that the microwave dries out the tobacco too fast at all. It more or less "wakes up" the flavors, (IMO) like running your flame down a cigar gets the oils warmed up before you light it. It does dry it slightly, but 8-10 seconds in a microwave can really wake up the flavors for me.

But, I don't do it all the time. I can't get a microwave to fit into my pipebag. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cosmic, it is a well known fact that is indisputable that crunchy tobacco burns hotter than moist tobacco. People who know how to smoke moist tobaacco, are smarter, more well endowed, chick magnets and all around more interesting. So there.

The only reason I don't fold and stuff is that I like to just clench my pipe and forget about it. If I have to fiddle with it, which gets my mind off of what I am doing and puts it on the pipe, I end up just setting the pipe aside. And, flakes always need a little fiddling. But, like anything, It's not like I never fold and stuff, usually just enough to reinforce that I prefer to cube cut or rub them out.

dylanstaton2

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
So I tried the rubbing out method this morn and got to say it worked a lot better for me. I could have waited for it to dry a little more so I still got to get the moisture content down but for me rubbing it out seems to be better for me that is. It seems to pack pretty well and drys rather fast. Thanks for the tips everybody. Also this blend is amazing. I love it and as I have said in previous posts that I seem to be enjoying Virginia tobacco a lot and I seem to always reach for some type of Virginia tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All newbie pukes have better success rubbing out a flake as the other methods are for afficionado's only. When you're all grown up you can cube cut and fold and stuff.
Seriously though all of the methods take practice and knowledge. Getting the right humidity level, packing the bowl to fit said humidity level, cadence of puffing, sun in your eyes, will all lead to differnet smoking experiences. Smoking flakes is the pinnacle of pipe smoking so it does take time. Did I just rank on the other cuts of tobacco.....sorry didn't mean to.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You don't need to dry it at all. Doing that loses flavor intensity.

You ask five different pipe smokers a question, you'll get five different answers.

In my experience, I get more flavor when I dry a tobacco. The wetter the tobacco the more steam in the smoke, which dilutes the flavor. I've never had a problem with flavor escaping as I dry a tobacco (maybe an aro, but those don't count).

Scarface, I am sorry if you thought that something I said was in response to something you said. I would agree with what you said, rub or cube and then dry. Yep, yessir. But, I wasn't responding to anything you said at all... Unless you want me to. I can try and fly off the handle at something. Just let me know what you want me to pick on. :wink:

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Cosmic wrote "The only reason I don't fold and stuff is that I like to just clench my pipe and forget about it. "
Funny, as I love to fold and stuff. I clench, sip and fiddle, without thinking about it.
I guess to each their own works here :)
I like my FVF to be JUST about brittle, still moist enough so it doesn't break, but if ya dried it a moment more it would. TETO

Status
Not open for further replies.