PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

parfate

Lurker
Dec 3, 2018
Hi guys, I'm new to pipe smoking. Seems like i having a little problem after my first few tries which is keeping my kiseru lit. I have search through google, following the 'Breath Smoking Method', 'Frank Method' and yet my kiseru wont stay lit. Is there any special tobacco for kiseru? since im using the common tobacco (captain black royal). Or its just i dont know how to control the lit yet?

Something tells me that this isn't a legit question.

First off, a kiseru is not smoked with any of the methods that we discuss on here concerning the European style pipes. Second, you don't smoke pipe tobacco in a kiseru. Third, do a Google search for kiseru pipe smoking. It does take a special cut of tobacco, which is only sold in Asia.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah. For that pipe you need a special, super fine-cut tobacco called Kizami. The technique is very different from the those that you mention. As far as I know, the best method is to hold the pipe in your hands and then magically transport yourself back in time to 17th century Japan.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I did not enjoy my kiseru. Someone suggested smoking the tobacco that came with it in a regular pipe. I tried this recently.
THAT WAS THE MOST HORRIBLE TASTE I HAVE ENCOUNTERED SINCE THE LAST TIME MY MOTHER MADE EGGPLANT SURPRISE!!!!!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Best of luck pairing your kiseru with appropriate tobacco. Report back if you get some. I've never spent much time around them and figured they were other purposes.
Live and learn. Thanks for posting.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I have 1 kiseru at home. Bought by my friend while she was travelling to japan. It just become a decoration in my cupboard. Maybe tonight I'll post it here

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Some of the tobacco is available on EBAY and I’m waiting for delivery of 2 kiseru and 7 19th century kiseruzutsu (cases), bought separately.

I’m going to order some of the tobacco, but they don’t have much selection, but at least I’ll try it. :?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I surmise that the smoking of this very finely cut tobacco in extremely small pipe bowls is entwined with philosophy and ritual that doesn't amount to much out of context. It's the difference between a good robust cup of strong-brewed tea in an English tea shop and the Japanese tea ceremony. They are two different activities, and you have to go at them two different ways. I'd want to spend some time with an experienced kiseru smoker from Japan to learn that -- if I wanted to do it. No youTube instructors need apply.

johnbrody15

Lurker
Feb 16, 2019
My mom is an antique junkie and frequently shows up with various tobacco/pipe/cigar related antiques for me. (Thanks Ma, it's pretty thoughtful she does that, and I appreciate it) Among them, 3 kiserus. And all this time, I thought they were used to smoke that which is referenced in the Rush song, "A Passage to Bangkok." And I kinda wondered why my mom was getting these for me.
Like MSO is saying, it would be really cool to partake in whatever meticulous yet beautiful, and meaningful ritual that smoking a kiseru is involved in.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
As a guy who lives where kiserus can be spotted, many use shag cut (ryo) tobacco for kiseru. I would recommend Special London Fine Cut from Robert McConnell.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
johnbrody', yes they look like opium pipes for sure, reminiscent of a long sad history of cartels pushing poppy extract especially in China. I don't want to know much about it, but I think maybe the opium pipes were a little bigger, actually, than these tiny kiseru tobacco pipes. alex', interesting about the RYO cut tobacco working in these; I would have guessed even that is a little too big, but at least it would be a few minutes worth, a short work break.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Wonder what happened to OP. Maybe he gave up?
I couldn't imagine trying to smoke CB out of a bowl the size of a fingertip...
Looks like even a fine shag would burn up in just a few puffs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some folks "join," and are never heard from again. Maybe he'll be back. There must be some ritual that makes a very short smoke effective. It's a little hard to visualize, but that's where some instruction comes in. In his eighties, my dad was invited by a Japanese couple to attend a tea ceremony at their home. I thought at the time, despite being set in some of his ways, he had the proper reflective qualities and imagination to take this in, and I think he did. They remained friends, and he may have gone to the tea ceremony more than once, or at least to supper.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I've always been fascinated in ceremony and will start researching the Kiseru and it's use. I'm half Native American so the use of the peace pipe also fascinates me.
So much more to this piping experience than just sitting down and smoking a bowl. The history is fascinating and has provided me with a completely new outlook and hours of researching.
I'm absolutely addicted to those threads about rare pipes and the research involved to date them etc.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
As for the Kizami tobacco, there only seem to be two varieties available. I’ve tried both and I would recommend the Takara bune over the other. It’s a coarser cut and doesn’t turn to powder like the other does when I roll it between my fingers.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
One development that I’ve heard of is that some kiseru users are cutting up cigarettes to smoke the tobacco in their pipes. One cigarette must be good for several bowls full!.

One thing I like about the Kizami tobacco is that they say there are no additives. I doubt that the same can be said for cigarettes.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
As a guy who lives where kiserus can be spotted, many use shag cut (ryo) tobacco for kiseru. I would recommend Special London Fine Cut from Robert McConnell.

Bingo.
Bali Shag, American Spirit in a pouch, or any of Peter Stokkebye's RYOs will burn fine and taste fine in most kiseru pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.