PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daibko

Lurker
Oct 26, 2019
Nashville, TN
I found what appears to be a 19th C. claw and egg with wind cap on Ebay and thought it might make a fun project to restore. It has the initials KL on the bowl but otherwise I've no clue about its maker or origins. Searching, it seems similar to vintage German or Austrian pipes with long stems that remind me of bagpipes, but never seen such combined with this type of bowl. Then again I've never seen a claw and egg with a cap before either. I appears to have been smoked very little as if it cracked before the first 50 smokes and was put into a drawer where it simply gathered dust and grime over the years.
I very gently and carefully cleaned it with water and small wedges of a magic eraser. I'm very pleased with the progress, but now need an appropriate stem and thus my issue. I suspect this will be either very easy (cause I can't be the first to want to do this) or very difficult (since I can't find any evidence of anyone messing with such before). The absence of threads, the repair to the shank, the wind cap, and the shank's bronze collar make me think that this though perhaps not valuable is at least the real deal.
I searched late into the night using key words conversion, replacement, restoration, etc but could find nothing about finding replacement stems that would fit this 14mm hole or converting/restoring such a fitting into something more modern.
I am determined to do this myself, but I need direction on how to proceed. I'm open to going for the vintage long elaborate stems, or converting to a churchwarden, or even a standard curved stem (though maybe a bit more decorative with some spindles or such. No clue yet really since I'm ignorant of the options available.
Also, if anyone has a clue what the initials "KL" point to I would appreciate that as well.
Thank you for checking my first post here. FWIW I'm in Nashville, TN in case anyone knows of someone local to consult.
616661676168I 6169

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Attachments

• Meerschaum clean.jpg
    Meerschaum clean.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Daibko

Lurker
Oct 26, 2019
Nashville, TN
Thank you for the reply. They are an excellent shop, but I bought this fully intending to enjoy the challenge of doing it myself. Any leads to sites where people have attempted similar? The fracture has already been repaired (sloppily though it is).

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I think this would have had a wooden stem with a bone mouthpiece. The give away is the loop at the back of the shank which would have tied around the top of the wood cherry stem. Look at 'vintage meerschaum' on an Ebay search function and you will see what I mean. Good luck with the restoration.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
That is a great find! Best of luck with the restoration, you already have a good start on the clean up. I look forward to pictures of the finished project, it should be a nice addition to your collection.

Daibko

Lurker
Oct 26, 2019
Nashville, TN
Thank you for the suggestions and the encouragement.

I found a couple sites that sell wooden reeds, but I cannot find anything about how to properly fit the reed, attach it to the shank, or fit a mouthpiece at the other end. Certainly I'm not the first to try this?

No way I'm the first to want to convert the mortise in order to vastly expand my stem options, but I've not been able to find anything searching the web all evening. Any further direction or ideas are humbly appreciated.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I think this would have had a wooden stem with a bone mouthpiece. The give away is the loop at the back of the shank which would have tied around the top of the wood cherry stem. Look at 'vintage meerschaum' on an Ebay search function and you will see what I mean. Good luck with the restoration
Simon is right on. I have one some where around here, I'll find it and post a pic...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
And HERE WE GO...
WZXoixA.jpg

uoUWw8f.jpg

9TcdggH.jpg

I believe(maybe?) the stem may be a birch or cherry??? Cork fitting to the Meer...

Daibko

Lurker
Oct 26, 2019
Nashville, TN
Very nice! I found a place that sells stems that I suppose I could trim to fit the hole (14mm). Yet to find anyone that sells that sort of mouthpiece or anyone who has tried to modify anything else.

Daibko

Lurker
Oct 26, 2019
Nashville, TN
While not finding exactly what I want I am getting ideas from various sites. It seems any tremel present on the wooden stem I could simply cut off before trimming to fit the mortise. I would square the other end, tap, and fit the mouthpiece maybe with a ferril if needed. Or something like that. I need to learn about cork fittings as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.