PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Hello all!

I’ve a nice unsmoked estate Freehand. It’s bursting with character, and the only marking is “Anaps 12.” (See photo).

The back of the plateau rim has a dark spot, and I’d wager it’s simply the briar coloration in that area (I’m open to what you pros say). I’m nigh on certain this guy has never been smoked.

Any help most definitely appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Reactions: hauntedmyst

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Oh, just for clarity: I’m not trying to soft-sell. I might just buy this one from the estate myself.

It’s one h**l of a pipe for a one-off. I’m thinking there’s definitely a professional behind it.

I’m certain y’all would have said something if anyone had a guess. It did occur to me however that it might come across as a ‘soft sell’, and though I may yet sell it, I wanted to make it clear that I’m looking for legitimate input :)

Reactions: hauntedmyst

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Looks like a one off, I've never seen those markings. The trim details on both the shank and stem also look very individualistic.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Looks like a one off, I've never seen those markings. The trim details on both the shank and stem also look very individualistic.

I really like the area of ‘wood grain’ on the stem. The maker sure has a lot more talent than I do. That’s not saying much, but I’d bet this isn’t his/her first pipe. It sort of says 1970’s to me, but that’s nothing more than idle speculation (WAG).

Thank you for your input. This little guy has grown on me for sure.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Judging by the makers mark, which looks hand engraved, I would guess it's a home made pipe, albeit from a set of talented hands. Do any pipe makers out there hand engraved like that, or do they all use a stamper?

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Judging by the makers mark, which looks hand engraved, I would guess it's a home made pipe, albeit from a set of talented hands. Do any pipe makers out there hand engraved like that, or do they all use a stamper?

Not too sure. I don’t know any personal pipe makers, though undoubtedly they’re out there. Briarworks is within a day’s drive (Middle Tennessee), but that’d be all I’d know. I might take it to my local B&M and see what their resident pipe guy says.

The more I see and handle the pipe, the more I think it’s going to join my personal collection. The maker no doubt loved it and I’m sure he/she would want someone to enjoy it for its intended purpose, plus I know I can and will take care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.