PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a bent GBD Prehistoric 9456 similar to the picture below. August being my birth month I wanted to buy few select pipes for my rotation as I believe in dedicating pipes to tobacco blends.
004-002-3302.jpg

I wanted to pair this pipe with a straight version of the same line and ended up loving the pipe pictured below. Of course there are many better looking and already restored versions available in estate section of many retailers website and ebay but this one called out to me.
Can you help me out with the nomenclature identification of this pipe? The guy who sold me this labeled it as S14L but I think its 44L.
Would really appreciate some information on this GBD.
avY2kEZ.jpg

A5Dqx9N.jpg

ROaOfEp.jpg

05FHNox.jpg

wa0SZgf.jpg

CLTgFYD.jpg

ohiURlW.jpg

cC64W7Z.jpg

BboYanr.jpg

JLDf18O.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

ThePipeMonk

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I find no reference to a 344L shape in any of my documents, but I'm constantly finding new shape numbers. Such is the mysteries of GBD.

It does have the brass rondell, so it would appear to have been made before the merger in 1982. That's all you can glean.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'm using a tablet, so the imaging isn't perfect, but I'm not at all sure whether that first symbol is a 3, an S, a 5, or a 6.
Once it arrives if it's not clear you might try charcoal rubbing.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Probably shrank a bit from lack of use. I wouldn't be surprised if it seated flush after a smoke or two...

@SSJones This is certainly a newly discovered shape number, as @Bonehed looked at the GBD shape charts. I think after restoration the numbers will be better and as @voorhees suggested in one of my another thread for the WM Penn Shop Bulldog, this too will just get a stain refresh with a little dark brown and then wax buffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.