PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin Weaver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Living in Wisconsin
pipe-smoker.com
I want to buy another pipe, but I am on a budget. A tight budget. Since I am unable to work anymore, I receive $802/month from Social Security and that is all I have to live on – as I said a tight budget.

I want the “Chacom: USA Smooth Lovat”. Is that a decent pipe? I can’t spend hundreds of dollars like I could many years ago when I was taking home 4K per month. Now, I have to be very careful with the money I receive.

Please give me input and experience with this pipe.

Edwin

I believe that Chacom also makes a lot of pipes for a few of the other big name pipe companies. They are very fine pipe makers, but lack a lot of the hype that other pipe companies tend to get.

As to how to get one on a budget... Besides ebay (which I suck at winning bids on there) I am not sure what to tell you. I have been tipped that the key to ebay is entering the highest amount of money you'd buy the pipe for... but, I always get outbidded.

Maybe someone else will have better advice for you on that. But, Chacoms in general are very fine pipes.

Reactions: Edwin Weaver

Edwin Weaver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Living in Wisconsin
pipe-smoker.com
Chacoms are pretty good pipes. No experience with that particular one. There are other options out there (See below) but Chacoms smoke fine.

PSA (long): New Smokers: You Do Not Need An Expensive Pipe :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/psa-long-new-smokers-you-do-not-need-an-expensive-pipe.73161/
alaskanpiper,

Thank you for you input. I have never owned a CHACOM so i did not know whether it is a decent pipe, especially since it is only $50.

Thank you

Edwin

Edwin Weaver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Living in Wisconsin
pipe-smoker.com
I believe that Chacom also makes a lot of pipes for a few of the other big name pipe companies. They are very fine pipe makers, but lack a lot of the hype that other pipe companies tend to get.
As to how to get one on a budget... Besides ebay (which I suck at winning bids on there) I am not sure what top tell you. I have been tipped that the key to ebay is entering the highest amount of money you'd buy the pipe for... but, I always get outbidded. Maybe someone else will have better advice for you on that. But, Chacoms in general are very fine pipes.
Good afternoon comicfolklore,

Good to hear from you. THANK YOU for your advice! I know nothing about that company. I did not know they made pipes for other companies. As far budget, I will have to shop around and find who has the lowest price. I do not auction websites, so i stay clear of them.

THANK YOU again for your help

Edwin

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

As to how to get one on a budget... Besides ebay (which I suck at winning bids on there) I am not sure what to tell you. I have been tipped that the key to ebay is entering the highest amount of money you'd buy the pipe for... but, I always get outbidded.

Maybe someone else will have better advice for you on that. But, Chacoms in general are very fine pipes.

There are also usually at least a few chacom estates available on smokingpipes:

French Estates Chacom Tobacco Pipes | Buy French Estates Chacom Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/france/index.cfm?tag=534

Reactions: scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Edwin, I don't have any experience with that particular Chacom, but I do own a couple of Chacom pipes. I own a Chacom Reybert 81 which I dedicated to the C&D Christmas blends (Golden Days of Yore, Jolly Old St. Nicholas, Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose) and a Chacom 185 Renard Edition 1 which I dedicated to SG Black Forest.

The Reybert was less than $50 and the Renard (ordered from James Fox, Dublin) was less than $80 USD. They're great pipes and I won't hesitate to add another Chacom to my collection.

You don't have to spend a lot of money for a decent pipe. Most of my pipes cost me less than $100. If you like the Chacom: USA Smooth Lovat...I say pull the trigger and buy it.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
For future pipe purchase on a budget, taking the time to familiarize yourself with the lesser-known sub-brands and seconds brands of big manufacturers, and then looking for them on ebay can be a very good way to get a great deal. Two of my favorite pipes are "Mountbatten" pipes, which as I understand it were made by Charatan apprentice pipe makers. They are both nice pipes with great engineering and nice grain, and I got both of them for about $25 a piece on ebay in very good condition.

The ebay listings only described them as "Mountbatten" pipes and did not mention the parent company, Charatan, which is a higher end pipe manufacturer. If the sellers had been more "in the know" and listed them as "Mountbatten (by CHARATAN)" then there might've been more bidding and a higher price. I've gotten the same sort of deal on an old Comoy's second by the sub-brand "Sunrise" and likewise, the listing did not list the pipe as a "Comoy's" second but only mentioned "Sunrise." People browsing the estate pipe market on ebay probably just type in the name of the parent company they are looking for, but don't search for sub-brands, and finding a listing that only includes the sub-brand and not the parent can result in a much lower sale price.

That said, buyer beware on ebay, and buying from unknown sellers always poses some risk.

Reactions: scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.