PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Picked up a Disney pipe awhile back that is a really nice pipe. Upon close inspection one will find a lot of fills in it.
For many months I have been watching videos on all kinds of sites looking for one of an individual that can rusticate or blast this for me. Have not come up with any and was wondering if the restoration guys on here could give me some suggestions.
(Try to post some pics but couldn't get it to work.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
SJ- I've seen some threads on DIY rusticating, know of several carvers who do it well, but none that alter old pipes. Good luck!
HTH: Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Dropbox, etc.), select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address) into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread in which you want the photo to show.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
We have seen some of the stuff click has done and posted on hear, I say give em a chance since he volunteered, Id like to see the end results

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Ok, I have to say if it wasn't for the Walt Disney nomenclature this stummel may very well have been destined for a trash bin somewhere. The pipe has 29 major fills and another 8 smaller fills and blemishes. Stay tuned for pics of progress I'll break them into multiple posts since I'm doing this from my iPhone.
g4GHS4q.jpg

XFIzo8K.jpg

WhfdaJ1.jpg

L2svhtw.jpg

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
So I decided I only had one shot at this and removed all the fills by hand with a pick. This was more difficult than I imagined it would be. The fills were deep and seemed to be cemented in. They were hard and dense. These remind me of briar worm crevices. I guess they didn't want to waste briar back then. I am still completely surprised by the sheer amount of fills and how this made it into final production! At this point I'm not sure I can pull off something that looks cosmetically superior.
2l382Ya.jpg

46QePV7.jpg

wKv055u.jpg

qwlg1wV.jpg

THke53F.jpg

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Ok so blasting dramatically changed the look for the better in my opinion. However the deep mess of the voids couldn't be blasted down for two reasons. 1 the bowl walls and shank would have become too thin. 2 it would have thrown the entire shape into an uneven lopsided mess. So pics fresh after blasting follow. I'll be staining her black to help disguise the voids.
el3LiY4.jpg

WDyEXyR.jpg

GGnlFEP.jpg

zMG25A9.jpg

u0JYaz2.jpg

hosHpln.jpg

Q7i8ULJ.jpg

qutlHE7.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Why didn't you just post pictures of the moon? I really like the blast. I have a poker that an artisan made for me that has several "holes" and with the blast and stain, I really like. But I'm a weirdo, not an artisan.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
It reminds me of the first time I made chicken on the gas grill...
I really like how that turned out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First, I really wondered if the stamp could be saved, since that is part of the story of the pipe. Click' did a great job of preserving that, hence preserving the history and nature of the pipe, which in turn enhances the final product with its story intact. The black finish visually smooths over the pits, and for me, preserves their interesting look, and the narrative on this pipe. This is an adventure in pipe restoration, and I commend both the owner and the resto man for bravely moving along and ending with this most interesting (and actually quite handsome) pipe. I'd carry that to a pipe show or pipe club anytime and smoke it proudly; what a conversation piece. Better than Disney ever dreamed.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I keep coming back and looking at these pictures. Just can't get over what a great job click did and how beautiful it turned out. I hadn't cleaned up the stem before I sent it off just it case it did not turn out well. I would just write it off as a lesson learned and move on. The more I look at it, the more I think the original stem doesn't do it justice. Since the stem doesn't have a mouse on it I am seriously thinking about having a new one made that will do click's work justice. I plan on waiting so I can have it at home for a while to admire it but am thinking a Cumberland stem would be perfect.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Wow! That is some gorgeous briar. Love the twisty knot. Thanks for the photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.