PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
https://nashville.craigslist.org/bfs/5549798436.html
Elliston Place Pipe and Tobacco has put itself on the market for 50k. I've never been here but it looks like a place I would have loved to visit - seems like a good selection.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I would love to do this! I'm in no position to do so, but if I were a change of careers would come quickly.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
My guess would be this new regulatory environment. Could be other reasons though. I don't know.
If times were different I would have loved to do this.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
It's 50k PLUS inventory. That means 50k for "blue sky"
Blue sky is what they call a brand in the auto bizz. They are looking to sell you all the stuff and throw 50 on top.
Given the physical location, that may or may not be a fair deal.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Not necessarily "just" blue sky. If the distribution rights do in fact transfer to a new owner, those rights have some value. Maybe you call that "blue sky" as well? In any event, that might be worth it. But it really depends on their proven bottom line. And what they want to claim their inventory is worth. Because it's always worth less than wholesale. As by definition, the best of everything is already sold. What's usually left is the stuff people don't want to buy that should be marked down to 30%.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I've been there. It's a decent shop because of the selection but the placement doesn't make it walk in friendly and there is no lounge.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Lounge, no lounge, and or however well the stock is. There is no way on earth I would ever invest money (if I had it) in a B&M tobacco store given the shaky grounds of the FDA sticking their noses and making laws where they have no right to do so. It's a terrible shame, but there it is like it or not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The terms of the lease and any proposed or approved changes to the area would be big considerations. Plus the inventory would have to be negotiable in terms of prices. The lack of a lounge doesn't sound as problematical as the lack of walk-in traffic. This sounds like a big gamble, for someone who doesn't need to earn a living and could walk away, accept the loss, and live on other income. Not many could. The FDA action may not be a poison pill, but it's an unknown that could be.

In this world where we can buy tobaccos for the exact same price as the B&M has to (-retail markup), impending FDA regulations, and taxes, this would be like trying to sell your VCR repair business or fax machine services. Unfortunate I see very few B&M's starting up soon... by a smart person anyways. So, we should embrace and encourage our existing B&Ms even more to keep them around, IMO.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah I hear you!! I did it for five years and that was more than enough! It's insanely hard! And the pay is crap.

Yeh, and everyone in the community thinks that because you own a business that you are rich, ha ha. And, with everyone buying more and more online, it's a boldly stupid move, IMO. It boils my blood when a customer comes in and wastes an hour of my time, getting sized, learning about stones and metals, and then tells me, "thanks, but I will just order it online to save money," as if I have an option to compete with online. I can imagine that tobacconists of B&M's get just as frustrated with the same thing, people thinking that online priced are the norm.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
Online purchasing, as wonderful as it is, is killing the B&M retailer. Hair and nail salons being one of the exceptions. The Internet has changed the business model completely. Buying a retail only tobacco shop in this day and age is akin to burning your money. Going to miss these stores, though.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Which is why I continue to support Iwan Reis. I split my purchases between them and online because I can afford to spend a little more and put my

Money where my heart is.
It's the same reason I will never shop at Walmart. I can afford to support what I feel are more worthy stores.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah the only B&Ms that will survive are those with a very strong online presence. That's the perfect B&M, a mostly online seller that uses a storefront in a major city.

Status
Not open for further replies.