PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
So while discussions about nasal snuff might not have any place on a pipe tobacco forum, it does in my opinion facilitate a more positive response than say cigarette smoking. Not that there's anything wrong with individuals who smoke cigarettes, I've just heard and read that nasal snuff is a healthier alternative for a quick nicotine hit (depending on the type of snuff inhaled). When I'm out on the job, in an environment where smoking is not allowed, (unless you got outside in regulated smoking locations) nasal snuff seems to be a nice alternative too cigarettes (which I have no intention of trying whatsoever).
So while the pipe will always remain my "go-to-smoking-device", a device I consider to be part of a hobby and not an addiction, I'm looking to delve a little deeper into the world of tobacco while maintaining a relatively healthy lifestyle and life free of addiction.
Any one of you try nasal snuff or do it on a regular basis? Any opinions, stories, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
pipenscotch

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I go in and out of it, i personally love anise flavored snuff. I always get wilsons of sharrow from mr snuff. Snuff is one of the most enjoyable ways to take tobacco

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I enjoy taking snuff very much and quit cigarettes a couple months ago with both snuff and snus.

At work a pipe is neither practical or allowed in many cases so I am still able to enjoy tobacco even with the silly smoking laws.

There are hundreds of various snuff types and like pipe smoking I would like to give them all a try at some point.

It is a very economical way to take tobacco and it does seem to be gaining in popularity a bit.

Snuff is definitely not for everybody but I think it would be cool if everyone who enjoys fine tobacco would give it a try just once.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I like it. I don't have a nicotine acciction but I could see how snuff would be helpful to those trying to kick the cigarette habit. I get on kicks where I will snuff for a few days and then put it away for a few weeks and then drag it out for a few days again and so on. A very civilized way to consume tobacco and you are left with a very pleasant smell in your nose all day. I have also made my own snuff from various pipe tobaccos.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I have also made my own snuff from various pipe tobaccos.
ohin3, please share how you made your own snuff from pipe tobacco. I have never used nasal snuff, but I've always wanted to -- so this thread inspired me to try. I placed a small order at the Mr Snuff website.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
ohin 3, I've heard individuals making their own snuff out of pipe tobacco's as well. One of the most popular methods I see out there for accomplishing this is taking the tobacco, stuffing it in a coffee grinder, and grinding the leaf to a fine-coarse grind! How do you do it?
BTW everyone, like lankfordjl I'm about to place a small order with mr.snuff.com. When I receive the order I'll be sure to post a message about my first experience with taking snuff.
pipenscotch

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
I love snuff, use it daily. For a while I did find it strange to sniff tobacco but curiosity got the better of me and gave it a try and haven't looked back. Every so often I make a small bit of own. So far I've only tossed either some dried pipe tobacco, or in my last case, some dried up G&H Maple twist, in a coffee grinder and ground it fine.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I love the stuff. I used to use it more often but with U.S. retailer no longer being allowed to ship, I'm literally down to my last tin.
MrSnuff will be hearing from me soon.

zhizn

Lurker
Nov 9, 2010
I like snuff quite a bit. Toque have an amazing range of flavor to suit everyone. Right now in my snuff box I have a mixture of Toque Quit, Ntsu and Dholakia White.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
OK, maybe I'm just stupid (Forrest says), but you mean you snort up your nose finely ground black tobacco???? :crazy: And how long do you leave it up there? And then do you have to blow all of it out into a Kleenex? How do you get all the tobacco out of your nose?
This sounds like some crazy sh!t to me. :laughat:

elwin

Lurker
May 3, 2012
"OK, maybe I'm just stupid (Forrest says), but you mean you snort up your nose finely ground black tobacco???? [:crazy:] And how long do you leave it up there? And then do you have to blow all of it out into a Kleenex? How do you get all the tobacco out of your nose?
This sounds like some crazy sh!t to me. [:laughat:]
You're not stupid - just uneducated.

:)

It's actually one of the oldest forms of imbibing tobacco. Also one of the healthiest. There is ZERO proof that snuff taking has ever caused cancer of any kind what-so-ever.
Most of the snuff used isn't black per se, but a nice brown...

You leave it up there as long as it's comfortable to you. Then you blow your nose. You can use a kleenex or a handkerchief - your choice. But I'd avoid a white hankie. It does look kind of gross. But then, blowing your nose when you have a cold doesn't look so pretty either.
Some folks use neti-pots to flush their sinuses, but I find that the body does a fine job of getting rid of it all by it's lonesome.
Anyway, while it's not for everyone, it's an enjoyable, safe way to experience a nice nicotine and 'olfactory' experience. (And it can be much more discreet than smoking. I take a tin with me into a movie, and no one in the theater knows I've had a nic bump during the film.)
So not crazy - just different.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Hobie, youse jest ig'nant!
Usually I just take a sniff up each nostril. I'll dab any excess off my nose with a handkerchief and go on about my day. I remember a lot of old geezers in Germany doing it years ago, but it seems to be gaining popularity here in the US now. If you survived the 80s you can handle a bit of snuff. :rofl:

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I ordered Gawith Hoggarth's Aniseed, Dry Orange, and Peppermint. I have no idea what it will be like or if this brand is good. It's a first time experiment for me.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Ah, sweet snuff, I partake on occasion. I used to have a larger collection, but have whittled it down. Some of my preferred snuffs are F&T Bourdeaux and Old Paris, Toque Lime Toast and Natural Toast, McC Original & Genuine, Bernard Aecht Alt and Doppelt Fermentiart, but my two hands down favorites are Poschl Ozona Orange and Bernard Zweifacher!!!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I like it a lot. I always have a tin in my pocket for a quick hit. At the moment it seems to be this:
Lowen-Prise-Snuff-1.jpg

Jul 15, 2011
Snuff rules. I used to use the stuff once or twice a day but it is now kind of sitting in a container on the corner of my writing desk. This thread has made me want to dip in to my stash a little bit. McChrystals Original and Genuine is top stuff, as well as Toque Bourbon and Wilsons Crumbs of Comfort.
OK, maybe I'm just stupid (Forrest says), but you mean you snort up your nose finely ground black tobacco???? [:crazy:] And how long do you leave it up there? And then do you have to blow all of it out into a Kleenex? How do you get all the tobacco out of your nose?
I'll help you out Hobie. Contrary to what a lot of people think, snuff is not actually "snorted", but rather is best placed in the bottom of the nasal cavity at the very entrance of the nostrils. What I like to do, and something that I don't do in public or in polite company, is I take a very tiny bit of snuff on the end of my finger and sort of wipe it around the bottom of the inside of my nostril. In essence, it kind of looks like I'm picking my nose, but it is a great way to keep the snuff from going too far into the sinuses. How long do you leave it up there? Until the scent wears off, usually anywhere from 5-10 minutes depending on which snuff you have. As far as getting it out, I just blow the old shnoz into a Kleenex to expel the tobacco. Every third or fourth bit of snuff I take, I like to rinse my nostrils out with some of the Saline Spray to keep my nose from getting too dry as I am prone to nosebleeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.