PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't believe that any of my flakes will get worse with age no matter how long I age them.
Hairy, my experience with methuselah blends in the 40 y o and up range is that they're largely past it. Even those that haven't turned into mushroom mulch will deteriorate with an alarming speed upon contact with oxygen. I'd agree that Virginias age better and longer than other types of leaf, but they still peak and then fade. Latakias go "soft" (fade) more rapidly. Like wines, tobaccos have a lifespan. My experiences so far suggest that it becomes a toss of the coin at around 20+ years with latakias and maybe 30+ years with Virginias, and pretty much a waste of money thereafter. Others' mileage may vary.

May 4, 2015
This guy again... Can we all just acknowledge that we know these videos exists so we can stop putting them in threads?
Edit: :wink:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Well I have to disagree with the char light. I've never heard anyone claim you cant simply light once and smoke nor have I ever heard that given as the reason to do char lights. One reason is, as mentioned, it deals with the expansion some tobacco is going to have upon first light. The real reason though is simply getting a consistent light across the whole top that doesn't go too deep. I've never seen my first char light get all the tobacco burning as consistent and evenly as my true light does after a couple char lights. For me, that is all the proof I need. I don't think it is in anyway necessary but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it produces better results in the form of more consistent burn and therefore flavor. It's fairly rare that I need a relight with a pipe and blend I know, unless something distracts me long enough to let my pipe go out or I just managed to do a poor pack job. That said, if you don't think it helps or don't care I don't think it's going to ruin your experience or anything.

May 4, 2015
For sure on the char light. I think the "myth" part is naming it "char light" and "true light" and how it's described: "Light everything, let it go out, then tamp, then light bla bla"... Lighting and tamping until it's lit well is all it is, and it's going to be different every time you do it. I think it gets unnecessarily over-complicated sometimes.

May 4, 2015
FALSE light is more what I mean when I say it's a myth. It's not a false light.. you're lighting the tobacco. Heck, it may even stay lit and then you really can't call it a "false light."

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
This is a great thread!! I think some of the myths/misconceptions can also be true opinions put across as rules...

I had five years of trial and error pipe smoking before I stumbled across online 'help' and I had already established my own preferences for cleaning/filling/lighting/puffing etc. Once i did come across this site, the more experienced opinions have been really helpful for me with different approaches to preparing flakes/plugs for example but I know that it is just opinions and they may or may not work for me.
So long as I smoke more bowls than I post threads my priorities are straight. :)
Isaac

May 4, 2015
I think some of the myths/misconceptions can also be true opinions put across as rules...
Right. A lot of regurgitation.. I've heard this more than once from veteran smokers and it makes me chuckle "The three step method is when you gravity fill, then.. etc etc..." "It's not what I do, I just cram it in my pipe, but it's the traditional way."
Seems like the better advice would be "Get it in the pipe however you can, smoke a bunch of bowls and you'll figure out the best way for you."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can post and spread misconceptions on the forum my keyboards at the same time. Does that make me a multi-tasking myth maker??
Myth or fact: I burn fewer holes in my Alpaca's sweater when I utilize a charring light.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Here is one of my favorites....i asked what a first timer should buy. Someone said "buy a first timers pipe like a corn cob" implying corn cobs are for beginners only. I have yet to cross a pipe lad who doesnt have at least a few MM in rotation

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
@booker amen to all those. I am from Michigan so hillbilly doesnt get thrown our way but we love our cobs in the 4 seasons glove state. Nothing better than a pipe that smokes cool and i can throw it across the yard at something, pick it up, and continue my smoke.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I actually think cobs are ideal for beginners, because they are so forgiving, but I wouldn't call them a "beginners pipe."
Most of the myths that I find amusing fall into category: the myth that briar pipes are fragile things that require constant attention and pampering. You know - break in gently, only smoke one bowl at a time through it before resting it, etc. What BS! Briar pipes are tough -- they can take a lot of use and abuse. In my experience, the important thing is to keep them thoroughly cleaned and use common sense (don't use a churchwarden as a baseball bat or poker, don't clean them with gasoline, etc).

5af1800dbd18b30ced7a98fd63f0fe1f411091a0da880f6bf4dcdd967cce8270-300x187.jpg

May 4, 2015
Briar pipes are tough -- they can take a lot of use and abuse. In my experience, the important thing is to keep them thoroughly cleaned and use common sense (don't use a churchwarden as a baseball bat or poker, don't clean them with gasoline, etc).
I don't have too many opinions on briars, but what I DO think is that a briar that burns out was meant to burn out. There was probably a hidden pit in it or there was some other structural weakness that wasn't noticed. I think cake is hogwash and I think resting is (largely) hogwash!

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Anything from years gone by is better than anything new. Especially dunhill pipes and tobacco.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Warren wrote:We've uncovered one of the biggest myths: That a couple hundred years of carefully gleaned information is worthless to the more knowledgeable smokers of today.
A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
Worth reading over and over.

I personally don't have 50+ years of pipe smoking experience under my belt but I'll always respect the advice and opinions of those that do regardless of what my experience to date has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.