My Visit To A Belgian Tobacconist (pic heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As most of you know by now, especially since my name now includes the adjective, I am originally from Belgium. We go back every two years or so to visit my mom, family and friends. So on this trip I decided to take some pictures at Huis Windels, the last really big tobacconist in Mechelen, Belgium. They even still have their house brand of cigars, which is getting more and more uncommon. If you're ever in that area, it's definitely worth a visit. It's about a 30 minute drive from Brussels.
So here goes:

A pipe tree in their window

Pipe_Tree.jpg

Some other old stuff in their window. They've been around since 1875

Window1.jpg

These are absolutely cool looking

cigarpipe.jpg

And as mentioned, their selection is huge, including some typical European tobacco's not found on this side of the pond
selection1.jpg

Selection2.jpg

Selection3.jpg

Selection4.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
That's pretty awesome. I only wish you took 100 more pictures lol.
What'd you leave with from the store? Surely you couldn't pass up on those cigar pipes?!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I picked up some of their home brand cigars. Then several pouches of two pipe tobacco's I know I like. I also smoked a whole tin while being there on vacation. Stupid me made a mistake in my calculations how much I could bring back. I counted what I took with me, which you can actually subtract when you come back. So I was planning to swing by again and pick up some more, but didn't get a chance. I really wanted to pick up a tin of that yellow container with "VB" on it on the top shelf in that picture at the end. Vinche Brussels is a Belgian pipe maker in Brussels who now has their own tobacco line. Need to get me a tin to try it out. Just gives me another reason to go back soon ;-)
But there's enough for the Dallas/Ft.Worth crew to sample both the Semois Grove Snede, a Belgian grown tobacco hard to find anywhere else, and Amphora, a very popular pipe tobacco over there.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Very cool pics. I remember when Amphora was readily available here, too - there were a lot of Dutch blends you could get here in those days - Amphora, Sail, Troost. (I think Amphora is Dutch.) Lots of times they were available at the drug store, along with the American blends and the MacBaren blends.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for posting all those pix! :clap: It looks like a great B&M.

I would be like a kid in a candy shop with all those European blends just calling out to me. :lol:

The downside is, if you bought one of each, it would be the last tin you had on hand ...'til the next visit.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I want a trip to Belgium for the beer but by the looks of it I'd be very happy exploring the tobacco selection as well!
Nice B&M - I'm glad Belgium hasn't proceeded with ridiculous display laws yet... I would love to experiment with some of those European blends, unfortunately the prices are still probably very steep.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks for posting. Belgium is one of my favorite places to visit. It's like Disneyland for beer drinkers, the food is great and the people have always been very nice to me. I'll get back there one day.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Belgium is my first choice for a European destination, although once you are across the pond pretty much everything is in reach. I'm chomping at the bit to get over there but it'll probably take me a few years...

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
wow everything seems so much dang cooler in Europe. Those pipe cigars must take quite a while to smoke.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I didn't smoke in the shop itself, but the old owner showed up with a loaded Savinelli behind the counter (it's his daughter I'm talking to in the last pic). We had a bit of a chat about Petersons vs. Savinellis.
And I did have my share of beers as well... 14 days .. 14 different beers. It's become a tradition each time we visit to have a different beer each day we're there. But I had a couple of double and triple samplings to make sure I got the taste right. ;-)
I came back with some tobacco (not telling how much), wife came back with... 9 Lbs. of Chocolates like in the picture below ! Not counting the ones in regular "Hershey bar" style (but better) stuff.
Chocolate.jpg

Typical Belgian Chocolate shop
For those that want to see more about Belgium, there's a little album here.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
So now I have something to look forward to on my next trip to Belgium.

By the way, anyone planning a visit to Belgium should visit the town of Baarle Hertog. It's on the Dutch border. Or rather, the Dutch border is in Baarle Hertog. Or rather, there are parts of the town that are in the Netherlands (exclaves,) and parts of the Dutch town of Baarle Nassau that are completely surrounded by Belgian territory (enclaves.) In fact, there are literally dozens of patches of Dutch and Belgian territory scattered around, sometimes dividing homes, businesses, etc. The house numbers in town bear small flags showing what country they're in, because otherwise you'd have no way of telling. It isn't that the border runs through town; rather it's a patchwork quilt of exclaves and enclaves. One restaurant is divided by the border, and before the Dutch liquor laws that prohibited serving alcohol after 11 PM were changed, the bartender would ring a bell, and patrons seated on the Dutch side of the restaurant would pick up their drinks and move over to the Belgian side. Definitely worth the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.