PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
On my second day in Rome, my lady and I went to the Trevi Fountain. Less fifty yards away was Becker and Musico.
I entered and introduced myself to Massimo and one of his friends. I handed Massimo sealed tins of Dreams of Kadath, Grand Point (with St James Perique and GL PEASE Regent's Flake. He was over the moon with the tobacco. He told me that he never gets access to blends like these and he was extremely appreciative.
He gave me a tour of his retail shop. I looked over his pipes. Some of them looked more radical than the ones I was used to seeing at Smokingpipes. They were truly unique asymmetrical shapes and designs. It took me almost an hour to narrow my selections down to about 5 pipes. The ones I picked were slightly more classical shapes. The price tags on the more asymmetrical ones was a bit too high. I told Massimo I was only leaving with two.
Like some kind of pipe doctor, he carefully watched me handle the pipes and made some observations about how I hold the pipe etc. He disappeared through a doorway and emerged with a pipe in his hand. He handed it to me. It was a small bull-doggish pot. My hand naturally fit it perfectly. My thumb rested on the flattened side panel while my right finger reached around the rim of the pipe as if it were on a trigger. It was so comfortable.
He launched into a very passionate explanation about how a person and a pipe form a very intimate bond that evolves over the years. The conversation evolved into him sharing his process as he makes a pipe. I could tell that he loves making pipes and that he makes them from the heart. He looked over my selection of pipes. He picked each one up and told me what it was. Then he asked me to hold on again and he went into one of his display cases and pulled another pipe. It was another asymmetrically designed acorn-type shape with a beautiful blast. He told me that this one was very special. He said it was one of his favorites. He discussed why it was such a special pipe to him and how he "felt" as he made it. He thought it was some of the best stem work he’d ever done.
I loved both the pipes Massimo steered me towards, however, they were over 30% more than I wanted to spend. He told me no problem and gave me a discount. So, I got the pipes!
We talked some more about his approach to pipe making and his relationship with briar. He was so passionate about making pipes. He said he’d love to visit our forum sometime, but he can’t peel himself away from the workshop long enough to spend anytime online.
If anyone goes to Rome, I highly recommend visiting Massimo. He’s a great guy and loves talking about his craft.
So, as requested, here are some pics… taken and posted with Massimo’s approval.
Here are the two pipes I got:
hBeZTXw.jpg

Massimo and I:
G7pXucv.jpg

Random pics of the shop and pipes:

FCMduT1.jpg

S3za6DQ.jpg

eAYNdYF.jpg

OoRpm4P.jpg

QY9Hp1U.jpg

zDvyCAg.jpg

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
LT: The pipes you picked remind me of Gamboni shaped pipes! I'd love to visit that shop. How did you communicate ... are you able to speak Italian or Massimo English? Does he sell any of the HU Tobaccos to which he gives his brand name?

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
He does not have any of the HU tobaccos. I was expecting to buy some. Later I found some Amphora and Clan at a tobacco/cigarette store, so I survived.
Massimo was comfortable with English and I'd argue that the words he chose to describe the complexity of his thoughts were very articulate and even poetic.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Sounds like a wonderful experience, thanks for sharing it here. Great look pipes!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Awesome trip! I think I'd have been a bit overwhelmed as well. I mean, it's not every day you get to walk into a great Italian pipe shop. Sounds like he puts all of himself into the pipes he carves. Something tells me the prices aren't very low, but given the opportunity to go into the shop, little on have a trip to Rome, I'd half expect to take a good amount of money with me, because there's no way I'd be able to go in and not walk away with at least one of those fantastic looking pipes.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Thank you for sharing pics of your visit. That’s so cool he was able to spend so much time with you, you are very lucky. I love the pipes, I especially the dig the blast on the brown one, wow! I also like how the asymmetrical shape of the black pipe would lend itself to fitting into your hand just so. I’m glad you had a wonderful trip.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Thanks for the write up and the pictures! I am very happy to hear you had an amazing time just like I did, I just loved listening to Massimo talking about pipes. Beautiful pipes you got there, you will absolutely love them. His stem work is top notch! Really like that sandblasted prince.... might have to go on another city trip haha!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Looks like you had a great time. I enjoyed reading your post and viewing the pictures...thanks. Also, very nice of you to gift him some tins. :clap:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Wonderful post! Thank you for the strong story and great detailed pictures. I am very happy for you.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Spectacular pipes. Definitely worth whatever you paid for them just for the experience of sharing time with a master pipe maker. It must have been a treat for Massimo too—a meeting of the minds and hearts between artist and patron. Thanks for sharing. More pix please!

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
BTW, I love the way the grain traverses the asymmetrical black pipe in a straight line from the flattened part to the opposite side of the bowl.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
WOW!!! That is just great you had that type of chance to do that. Not to be crass,But GREAT SHIT BRO!Thanks for the pics... :worship: :clap: :worship: :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.