PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
It wasn't until the fourth and final day of my trip that I was finally able to get to Blatter and Blatter. The Easter holiday kept it closed the first three days was visiting. When I walked in I was immediately greeted by both Pierre and and his son Patrick. They were very patient and kind as I thoroughly looked through their pipes. Pierre's son Patrick makes a lot of very nice pipes. The other pipes are made by Pierre's brother. Pierre showed me all sorts of really awesome calabash pipes made by his grandfather. His grandfather apparently "invented" the calabash. He had some cool pipes his grandfather made stashed away in drawers and cases. These were not for sale. He seemed to enjoy showing them and telling me the stories behind the pipes. While they had many pipes made by different makers, I was only focusing on their Blatter and Blatter offerings.

The regular line of pipes seem to range between $80-$120. These are well made classic shapes. Very good, well aged briar. I found a Lovat and had to have it. I have been looking for a nice Lovat for some time. They also have two different lines of "select pipes." They either have one or two dots. Pierre said the pipes with two dots have very rare and exceptional straight grain for the size of the pipe. He only had a couple and they ranged between $400 and $550. The one Dot pipes ranged between $200 and $400. The grain and size varied - but all were made very well. It took me some time, but I settled on this bent billiard covered in birds eye with a cool band of straight, flame grain. Even though I typically prefer the straight pipes, I couldn't resist this one.
Before I share any pics I want to say that the USA dollar is very strong at the moment. All of the $ amounts I posted previously were in Canadian dollars. You are getting almost $1.30 of Canadian dollars for every one USA dollar. My $300 Select cost me $213. If you want to buy a pipe now I would suggest calling Patrick, or possibly commissioning a Montreal resident like Ben88 ;-).
Here's the Batter and Blatter website link: http://www.blatterpipes.com/English.html
Pierre and I:
hQLtp3z.jpg

A pipe made by Patrick I wish I bought! It would have been about $175 USA $: (But you can't have it all).

m59kL0W.jpg

Select on top, Lovat on bottom:
G2yXlyi.jpg

47BWgj6.jpg

Their main case with select pipes:
YejT26F.jpg

0Wp65rO.jpg

Their Case of special select pipes:
bTvrfCL.jpg

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
There is a lot more to see at their store. They have many more pipes and other cases. The coolest pipes to see are the cases with the pipes not for sale. I couldn't share photos of these because they are like museum pieces you need to see for yourself. I also wanted to add that our friends from Canada are not exaggerating. Tobacco is really expensive there. A tin of dunhill that you pay $9.88 for on P&C cost about $33 there. This is probably why they still had a few tins of McClelland blends available. They had a nice selection of tobacco. If you love a Canadian, send them some tobacco. Pierre says he loves light English blends and I promised to send him some. Perhaps something from Peretti's, H+H or GL Pease. What do you suggest?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great pics and thanks for sharing them. I have been to that store and it is pretty awesome. Old school tobacconist who know their business. I used to order their Blatter Reserve pipe tobacco when I was a fan of English blends, it is awesome stuff.
Did you grab some of their tobacco?

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
I did not buy any tobacco. I was going to, but when I saw it was $33 per 50 grams, I passed. I brought some with me, so I was set. I would have tried the coffee aromatic many folks rave about, but they were out of that.
It's hard to see in the pic, but in the special select case, the third pipe starting from the bottom on the right is a two star select. It's got some of the nicest straight grain I have ever seen. It has a plateau top. It's like $400 Canadian or $284 USD. It was the pipe I liked most, but I just got a similar Paul Peri Pipe, so I decided on the bent billiard.
I really like Patrick's rustication. The rusticated pipes felt perfect in the hand. My next one will be a rusticated one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's way more than a store!! They make pipes in the back room, or at least it seemed that way when I was there two years ago or so. I love my B&B's I got there and to shake the hand of the carver.
Great photos and thanks for the post.
(for Michelin fans)
-> Worth a detour!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fine looking pipes. I really fancy the Lovat for some reason, I think maybe especially the proportions. I might have to smoke my Lovat (a Johs) some time soon.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Some great photos and pretty pipes. I live 500km down the 401 and have to one day visit them.
You are right about Canadians and tobacco prices, that goodness for the 200 gram PP duty free limit when we visit the great ol'USA... Always come back with 8 tins in check!
I would love to own one of their briars but I only smoke 9mm filters these days, I wonder if they would make one special for me?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A light English blend recommendation: Nat Sherman 536, one of the most refined and interesting mild English blends

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
Congrats on the new acquisitions! The grain on your select is really nice! I have a few selects in my collection and they are fantastic smokers.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
That select is very nice as is their Blatter Reserve ... Canadian taxes, not so much.
I'm on 13 regular Blatters and about 25 Select with 4 two dot variants.

Mostly estates going back to the 70s.

Great pipes, great store, great people.

Status
Not open for further replies.