PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Having taken up the pipe in 08/2014, I cellared hard and deep and have 220 pounds in various tins, pouches, mason jars(bulk and current use) and bags. I consider my cellar complete and now only buy the occasional new blend to try.
Time flies and looking at tobaccocellar I have the following:
4% -3 years or older

45%-2 years or older

60%-18 months or older
Having retired in 04/2016 I am having a great time in this hobby. So much tobacco and so little time. :crazy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
yeah, zitotczito, it seems like only yesterday when you posted that you were finishing up your cellar with some bulks.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tad-bulk-style

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I cellared hard and deep and have 220 pounds in various tins, pouches, mason jars
OUCH. I have bruises just thinking about it. But 220 pounds and you still have some blends out there you need to try? Double ouch!

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I have just over 30 pounds and my wife I both agree that I've lost my mind.

220lbs at my current rate of consumption, according to my PipeTool APP is appx 10 years. I figured 500lbs would keep me in the clear. I set back $300 a month for buying online, plus I only currently smoke what I pick up at The Briary for my rotation. Sometimes, I will pop a tin from the cellar, but mostly I will just smoke what is coming in new. It will take a little mental adjustment to get me in the habit of opening tins and jars from the cellar. Running down to the Briary has been my MO for a long while.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have a pipe and tobacco budget of $5 a week ha, so every few months I buy a few ounces of tobacco, and maybe once a year a pipe is added, though not every year! The hardest part is watching my hard saved pennies being spent on pipe cleaners :crying: Then again, rather that than dirty smokes! I smoke a bowl a day, and believe it or not am seeing a cellar very, very slowly grow rather than shrink!
Isaac

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I have just over 30 pounds and my wife I both agree that I've lost my mind.
Once you reach insanity, there is nothing left to lose! There are no "degrees" of insanity! You are now free and clear to buy at will and shoot for at least 50-60 pounds.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Virtually all of my stock was bought online, no real B&M's within a reasonable driving time. Cosmic, good thing I am not close to the Briary.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
My problem (other than being a newbie who as of yet only likes about 6 different blends) with each paycheck, do I buy more bourbon, tobacco or 5.56 and 9mm ? The BATF loves me :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"According to my calculator, 220lb at my consumption rate would last me roughly 166 years."
Aimless, the thing you need to understand is most American pipesmokers like to hoard tobacco just for the sake of it. For goodness sake there is even the 'tobaccocellar' database where members can compare bragging rights as to who has the most baccy...all very sad really :crazy:
Us Brits tend to take a more laid back approach and collect tins or pouches in a more controlled and civilized manner. Besides not spending money on tobacco we aren't likely to live long enough to smoke we don't empty the shelves of suppliers thereby preventing our fellow smokers from purchasing their preferred blends.
That's my tuppence worth for the day :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Us Brits tend to take a more laid back approach and collect tins or pouches in a more controlled and civilized manner.
Jay!! I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you, shocked! That would be "We Brits....." :lol:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Everyone who think we are crazy for hoarding.."
Michael, there is a distinct difference twixt stocking up a sensible amount and buying up several times one's bodyweight of each blend.
I fear the day that internet tobacco sales are banned just as much as the next man but I also take into consideration that it will not affect me and me alone, therefore I am quite happy that others are able to buy what they want too.
Here in the UK we don't have suppliers running out as you do in the US and the reasons for that are obvious...think about that next time you order 50 tins (or whatever your supplier has in stock) of Everlasting Flake!
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.