PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Everyone who think we are crazy for hoarding... when the day comes, when you can no longer buy any tobacco online, and we are forced to pay $80 a tin at state stores where we have to register our insurance acct numbers to go in... we'll see who is laughing. Just saying...
When the day comes, I'll find another pastime. Laugh all you like, it's really not important enough for me to worry about. Just saying....

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just for what it's worth, I often get requests via PM asking me to post a variety of UK blends to forum members in the US. These I generally politely decline for several personal reasons.
However some while ago whilst negotiating a trade for a straight swap of two specific American blends and the equivalent weight of any UK blends the other person after agreeing the deal suddenly asked me out of the blue to send him $200 worth of a particular blend not available in the US! This I thought to be staggeringly rude and out of order.
Not only happy stripping the shelves of his own country, he was trying the same here! Needless to say I took my business elsewhere.
If everyone, both sides of the pond were to take a more pragmatic and sensible approach to tobacco stocking I'm pretty sure there would be plenty enough to go around for all of us.
Regards,
Jay.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I beleave someone just called us Americans an Canadians uncivilized. :twisted:

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Ouch.
I guess it rankles to have once invaded most of the known world and now be teetering on the edge of the second world....

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
You could throw in uneducated too if you wanted to be picky.
14718589_1219550044772965_2891852202421894156_n.jpg

Absolutely no need to have replied like that :roll:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I guess it rankles to have once invaded most..."
No, what rankles is folks who are too lazy to use their native language correctly and too lazy to proof read a post afore hitting the send button :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Us Brits tend to take a more laid back approach and collect tins or pouches in a more controlled and civilized manner. Besides not spending money on tobacco we aren't likely to live long enough to smoke we don't empty the shelves of suppliers thereby preventing our fellow smokers from purchasing their preferred blends.- mawnansmiff
Sorry to burst your bubble, mawnansmiff, but some of my most prolific purchasers for many years are from England. I've shipped literally many hundreds of pounds of tobacco over there. Perhaps you should get out more and meet your fellow Brits who make pipe tobacco investment purchases that are sizable. I've found them to be true gentlemen of the hobby and I have greatly enjoyed learning about their collecting habits.

I like you, Jay. I always root for guys like you. You've got your ways of seeing the world, and I respect that, probably agree with you on most. And, when someone is doing something that doesn't make sense, it's easy to "sling some poop" so to speak, ha ha. But, I am sure that if we really started digging, there will be something about you that seems just as ridiculous to us.
And, to everyone else, Americans and Canadian Brothers, Isn't it nice to have our own little Cornish codger? I mean, we already live in the best part of the world, with our Grand Canyons, huge mountains, the most beautiful beaches in the world, as well as women. I think it's ok to let a few pieces of poo fly by us. It makes the zoo I mean forums much more interesting, IMO.
Hey, someone thinks I am an idiot for having spent years stockpiling tobaccos. So what? 95% of the world thinks I am stupid for even smoking a pipe. We are all codgers of some sort or another. When is someone else's opinions ever matter to us? We wear socks with sandals, smoke latakia, sling water out of our pipe stems, and leave nasty pipecleaners everywhere we go.
Lets all focus on the real enemy... those idiots who designed bras so damned difficult to get off with one hand. Am I right? Do I hear an amen?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Lets all focus on the real enemy... those idiots who designed bras so damned difficult to get off with one hand. Am I right? Do I hear an amen?
I've found that if you learn how to properly clench your pipe you'll have both hands free. Mind you, the wheels fall right off the moment you have to relight.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"there will be something about you that seems just as ridiculous to us."
Of that I have absolutely no doubt.
Pipestud, what I was referring to is the regular tobacco stockists often running out of particular blends due to hoarding. I often see threads were folk bemoan the fact that X supplier is right out of Y blend, and all of these stockists are American. I have yet to see anyone complain on the forum that a British supplier is out of anything.
With all due respect, your business is a niche market dealing with a particular type of product...'aged tobacco' and I could well be wrong here but I don't think you sell 'current/fresh' tobacco. If you do then I apologise.
Of course a cynic might suggest that you personally gain from folks who buy vast amounts of tobacco as if/when they pop their clogs their remaining mountain of tins makes its way to your website :wink:
Anyway, as I initially stated, there is plenty of baccy to go around for everyone, or there would be if certain folks didn't clear shelves in one fell swoop.
Regards,
Jay.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
So, I guess you take no issue with bras? Is that what you're saying?
Not at all. They are the invention of pure evil and should be outlawed (with certain exemptions :wink: )

Oh, ha ha, bassbug... I knew that you had a bone in the fight. I was talking to Jay.
We all benefit from mass purchases of pipe tobacco. The person gets a cellar stockpile. The company makes some money. We all get to enjoy a company that is staying in business. If a company like Esoterica, Germains, or ol Sammy Gawith decide to limit their production, which is what they are doing intentionally, then that is their fault. But, all of the other blends pretty much play a fair game, keeping blends rolling off the production line.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Oh, ha ha, bassbug... I knew that you had a bone in the fight.
That's getting rather personal, don't you think? :oops:
If a company like Esoterica, Germains, or ol Sammy Gawith decide to limit their production, which is what they are doing intentionally, then that is their fault.
Not only their fault, but also stupid. If I can't find a blend I'm looking for, I'll just spend my money with a different company. I may or may not come back, but I certainly won't be without any tobacco. Their loss.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Well, we may discuss and debate differing buying, spending, storing and selling habits for the sheer pleasure of discussion, but in the very end, what you buy, how you buy it, or what you do with it afterwards, is really no one's business but your own.
Everyone has their reasons for what they do and I don't expect anyone to understand mine any more than I understand theirs, and while we may agree or disagree at various levels, when it starts getting personal, I am always reminded of the old proverb: That to not understand another's purpose does not make them confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.