thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Here are my three simple rules, that assure me a pleasant pipe smoke:

1. Smoke dryer than you think

2. Pack lighter than you think

3. Puff less than you think

Nothing new and groundbreaking. I just wanted to share because I did all of them wrong first and that gave me plenty of bad smoking experience.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Sounds to me like it's all that 'thinking' gettin' ya in trouble!

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
thomas is offering generally accepted good advice. However, I concur with hawky454. One of the attributes of many pipe smokers is their abhorrence of “rules”.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yep. That about sums it up if you want to get the best your tobacco can offer you.
Tobacco, not being sentient, isn't going to care whether you agree or not, or your theories about why you're right, and everybody else is wrong.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just finished a bowl with slightly moist vaper tobacco,yet packing left something to be desired, I knew this all alone how this would end and as a result, I got a light tongue burn for the first time in months,, fricking bright virgins

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I got a light tongue burn for the first time in months,, fricking bright virgins
Paul, you gotta be careful with those bright virgins.
Certain varietals affect some smokers. Bright Virginias used to sting like my mouth was splashed with battery acid. A lot of smokers can't smoke red Virginia. Fortunately for me, I no longer seem to have any issues with any Virginias. Try drying that blend a bit more, fix the pack, and hopefully you won't experience the tongue bite.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Good suggestions, thank you! I am always tempted to over-pack my pipe because I want more more more! However, I find that if I pack a little less and a little lighter, the experience is much more pleasant.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
My three rules have always been....

1) Put the tobacco in the pipe

2) Light the tobacco

3) Smoke the tobacco

Pretty simple, but has always worked for me...

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
What raevans typed.
Also what Utah Phillips had to say: "I’m an anarchist. I don’t make rules for other people. I make rules for myself."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Only the bright ones remain virgins past high school.
guidelines.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes, but for guys who don't understand, or are new, and followed the pack light smoke rule, would be something like this.
1.) Pack bowl

2.) Light bowl

3.) Light bowl

4.) Light bowl

5.) Burn tongue

6.) Dump out tobacco

7.) Pack bowl

8.) Etc. Etc.
So "guidelines" are great to the new ones.
Rules don't exist. Lol

sandiegosam

Lurker
Jul 8, 2019
I generally agree with the original three from thomasmartin... however, packing light is definitely subjective. Personally, I pack until I feel just the right resistance on the draw.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
I got a friend of mine that smokes cigarettes into smoking a pipe to take the strain off his lungs a bit. I gave him that exact advice, though admittedly I don't follow it myself. My pipe right now is so hot I can't touch it and I'm puffing away but I don't really care

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, but for guys who don't understand, or are new, and followed the pack light smoke rule, would be something like this.
1.) Pack bowl

2.) Light bowl

3.) Light bowl

4.) Light bowl

5.) Burn tongue

6.) Dump out tobacco

7.) Pack bowl

8.) Etc. Etc.
So "guidelines" are great to the new ones.
Rules don't exist. Lol
Hehe... this is true but that is how we done did learnt how to properly smoke a pipe.
Trying, then failing, then trying again but learning from your past mistakes/failures is a lesson you can’t learn from no book reading. :nana:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don't even have three rules for life. How the hell am I supposed to have three rules for smoking a pipe.
BTW, here are my TWO rules for life. 1- Fuck with me and I'm absolutely going to fuck with you. 2- Treat EVERYONE with dignity and respect, until they don't respect your dignity.
simple, easy and effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.