PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I have to say I have never written a review or smoked this tobacco before I received it the other night (11/30/14).
I have smoked three bowls of this tobacco. The first 2 were sliced and partically rubbed out when I received it. I found it to be dry. the taste was mild with a light sweetness from the Virginias and the toppings,I found this on my lips and tongue. There was a slight peppery taste that hit the back of my mouth and the lips. As for the Nic hit it was minimual with little or no effect. These were smoked in a Peterson systen 305 and a MM mini.
The third (3) bowl was fresh cut and rubbed out. I found during smoking I didn't let the flakes dry out enough. Since the flakes was to wet which caused multiple relights. The smoke: after the first couple of minutes the sweetness came forward and filled my mouth with a sweet taste. then about the same time there was a buzzing in head and the room spun a bit I realized it was a big Nic hit, it got my attension so slowed down my draw frequency for The rest of the bowl. During the first half of the bowl the flavor was Mild to medium. The Peppery taste came forward but was not overbearing.
During the second half of the bowl I was able lightly taste the Plum topcoat. I found the balance between the Va and the Burley enjoyable. The Nic hit was not a problem and the peppery taste was in the background.
Mouth Note: After the pipe was put aside for a few minutes I could taste the tobacco. I was able to taste the sweetness and a slight fruitness in my mouth and on my lips. I also had a tingle from the Nic or some perique on my tongue and the sides of my mouth.I smoked this bowl in a Dr. Plumb Dinky( yes my messed up pipe) Full Bent.
Would I smoke this again? Yes

Would I explore different plugs? Yes, this tobacco brought forward another aspect of Pipe smoking.

What would I tell a new smoker about this tobacco? Make sure it has dried out and smoke it slooooooooooooooowly.
Thank you
John

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
All we can do is hope we can get more Warrior plug and some other from the other side of the pond. I saw a review on Mick McQuaid said it is close to Warrior. Still I am game for more Plug, Now I have to find the funds.
John

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I found Warrior Plug to have more going on in the taste department than the Mick McQuaid plug. But Mick is a lot stronger. Look for Peterson 3P's. Its pretty flavorful and not too bad in the nic department, a little less powerful than Warrior Plug.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I don't think I've ever had Warrior but I do remember feeling that Mick wasn't exactly knocking the doors down with flavor

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great review of one of my staple - and favourite - tobaccos, John. You made me laugh re the first big nic kick as I think we've all been there with Warrior Plug; it's a rite of passage. If you like Warrior then go for Velvan, Revor, Mick McQuaid and Yachtsman, which are all excellent plugs. They will cost you more than you're used to paying but they last a fair while if sliced right.
Andy

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
To my mind the Brits know best when the subject is strong plug. Although I'm sure there are such made outside of the UK, the number of ultra strong, pressed tobaccos they make make them a mecca for the experienced pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.