davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
I'm a new pipe smoker (since DEC 2015) and here's what I've found I like:
1 . SPC Mississippi River

2 . Orlik's Golden Sliced

3 . Old Gowrie

4 . Orlik's Dark strong Kentucky
Tried a lot of others including SPC Plum Pudding, Balkan Blue and Nightcap! Does this mean I'm a Virginia guy?! I didn't care for any of the aromatics :/

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
Very nice tobaccos. But if you are going in reverse alphabetical order, there are some very nice blends in the N category you're skipping.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Does this mean I'm a Virginia guy?
Mississippi River has Latakia if memory serves. I see some Perique in those choices. And then the DSK comes along and throws a wrench into things. :) Looks like your are still developing your palate and there is nothing wrong with that. Enjoy what you like and trade those that you don't for new stuff.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A 3.8 or higher? yikes! That's asking a lot. So much variety in palettes. I've seen some silly knock downs and some over the top rhapsodies. Look at how many total reviews are made before you ascribe much value to its average rating.

for now, yes. lol.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I usually don't pay too much attention to ratings before I decide what I want to try, but at > 3.5 I will pay attention even if it doesn't seem like my thing, because that means it could be a world class tobacco.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I don't pay any heed to reviews unless it's by someone I know is legit. As someone (perhaps Jim but not sure) said, it sounds like some of the reviews on TR are by guys who never smoked the blend in question. Then I need to have tried a few blends a person has reviewed before I get a feel for how their taste compares to mine.
As to rotations, I don't have many, but I like them varied. For me anything with Latakia tastes like Latakia, so I smoke Nightcap because it's the macdaddy. Then I like a straight VA, for which Dunhill Flake is the one I like best so that's the only one I smoke. Ditto DNR for my VA-Per. The only genre where I tend to flirt with several blends is aros, and even there I'm limited because I want something natural with plenty of nic. So I go between 4th Generation 1931 Flake and my homebrew of Virginia Cream + BCA. Occasionally have a bowl of Amphora Red, which I find needs drying and rubbing-out a bit, and I don't typically want to fuss with doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.