PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Decided to clean my pipes and found that I have somehow let myself get to the end of my pipe cleaner stash. I found that I had a few packs of the bristled kind and decided to give those a go. I feel like they did great for scrubbing out large amounts of gunk on my worst pipes but where so so in every other aspect. Also found that several of my pipe nails had a small cake on the bottom. I obviously have never come across this and wonder if anyone else finds this too? All are clean now, but I wonder if my tamper ever imparts flavor because of a cake build up. Also found that University Flake builds a really nice cake rather quickly. I smoked it for about to weeks in a fairly new pipe, or at least one that I don't smoke often and that pipe has a fantastic cake in it now. This ends my adventures for the night, maybe.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Yup it's a Peterson blend. It's a VaBur with a topping that some say is berry. Regardless it's a tastey and strong smoke.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
A sooty deposit will build up on my tampers if I let it. I'm not sure if it's "cake" in the usual sense, though. If you can discern flavor imparted by your tamper, you've got a finer palate than mine!

My tamp will get ash stuck to it. This is why I tap my tamp off after every tamp. I don't think that it would impart any flavor though, unless you're the princess that can detect the pea.

Great post. Not a cake fan, but It's good to make a mental note of blends that may contribute to a fast cake.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I always wipe everything down after smoking, pipe, tamper, stem, etc. May leave my tamper alone just to see what happens.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I've noticed ash build up on my tamps. I just wet my thumb with saliva and rub it off, same as I do with pipe rims. This can lead to the dreaded "thumb cake" developing, so care must be exercised.
Uni Flake is a good smoke imo. I don't have enough cellared.
Oh, and I've recently started using a bristle cleaner post smoke, before a fluffy one. So far so good.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I doubt a ghost can be transferred through the tamper cake. Let us know if you discover otherwise.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I usually wipe my tampers on the back of my pants ha, should probably be checking for cake on the couch!
I recently found out that wallace flake by rattrays is supposed to be the same thing, here is a quote from tobacco reviews
After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and simply renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label: Malcolm Flake being Erinmore Flake; Sterling Flake being Irish Flake; and Wallace Flake being University Flake.

I tried them both within the same week, and liked both of them for that mild plum note...I think I would choose university flake over the wallace but will need to smoke a few more bowls to put into words just why that is.
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.