PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Blender Russ Ouellette told me about his tobacco blend, Freight Train, a few years ago at the Las Vegas Pipe Show. He knows of my love of strong tobacco with a lot of Burley and said he'd created a blend that I might like. Russ was right! I cellared some of this tobacco a couple of years ago and am sure glad that I recently pulled some out to smoke. I would love to get impressions of this outstanding blend from some of you who have smoked it.
Freight Train even has more than the typical Burley flavor, and the Perique, though far off in the background, was masterfully created to enhance the sledgehammer like effect one gets from smoking it. I was so impressed that I took a jar full of it to a recent pipe club meeting to let everyone sample. We started the meeting with 15 members and left with 3. I think all the others are still on the floor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Never tried Freight Train, but I really like Russ' Fire Storm, Chestnut, Log Cabin, and Balkan experimental M-61. I do like a sturdy burley, but how I'd stand up to that one, I don't know.

Jan 8, 2013
Pipestud wins the Thread Title of the Week award!
No kidding! I read the title and my first thought was, "my god, that's freaking awful!" I had visions of a group of guys all piled into a car getting stuck at a railroad crossing or something along those lines.
You should be ashamed of yourself!!! :rofl:

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Sounds like one I'll have to pass on because of my NWD (nic wimp disorder). Years into this and my sensitivity hasn't changed at all. Guess that's why I'm not as upset as some with the upcoming loss of Royal Yacht

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I have a pound or three of Freight Train & Steamroller in the back of the cellar that need to be revisited.

Both are very good, strong smokes. Great straight-up or as boosters for meek blends.

Too bad that they are no longer produced. I would love to see Russ revive them if the FDA regulations are ever rescinded.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Russ passed around a tin of War Horse Green last night in PA, but had no takers.
That's because I wasn't there. The horse still packs more power than the iron horse in the tobacco world.

Status
Not open for further replies.