PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
I've been quiet. I was singing and had iffy throat so put the pipe away for a week. But back to trying more blends, now.
Zen Pants is indeed excellent, but to my taste buds a little drier, less creamy.
Arango Balkan Supreme is also excellent, a little lighter, but right up there maybe one rung down from Balkan Sobranie.
I'm really pleased I embarked upon this little project. I now have 20something mason jars filled with blends I enjoy.
I found my almost perfect pipe last night when I got to thinking that the je ne said quoi that I used to adore in Frog Morton Across The Pond, which I still enjoy, but not as much... I'd call it a sweet softness... is just what Peretti Tashkent is missing. I mixed 70% Tashkent, 30% FMATP, and it was very nice. I just mixed another bowl.
I'd say I'm about all set now, but I just got this email...
Products shipped
Cart Items
SKU​
Qty​
Smokers' Haven Our Best Blend 2oz Tin Pre-Order
03-003-0006-PO​
1​
Smokers' Haven Cognac Mixture 2oz Tin Pre-Order
03-003-0014-PO​
1​
Smokers' Haven Exotique Mixture 2oz Tin Pre-Order
03-003-0011-PO​
1​

Reactions: lightmybriar

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I had a bowl of Penzance last night, maybe my favorite since I bought the bag. I think one of the things that makes Penzance a bit unique is that most Lat/Eng/Balkan blends tend to get zesty or even a bit muddled towards the bottom of the bowl, but Penzance retains those dark flavors like dark chocolate or stout beer or something.

Reactions: lloydcole

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think Chasingembers might be trolling us a little bit with the recommendation of a cheap commonly available bulk blend
I just noticed this, but not at all. I prefer Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme to anything made by Esoterica. Falling into the expensive is always better marketing trick will make you miss too many good blends.

Reactions: Dusk

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I don't know jack about Penzance but I am currently enjoying some GL Pease Chelsea Morning. It has the Va/Or/Lat combo. Per the tin description it also has "a pinch of perique".

The perique influence in my aged ziplock bag is very minor, so maybe worth consideration.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I just noticed this, but not at all. I prefer Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme to anything made by Esoterica. Falling into the expensive is always better marketing trick will make you miss too many good blends.

I'd say Balkan Supreme could be sold for a lot more if they put it in a tin and called it something fancy. I've heard speculation that Balkan Sansieni is more or less just tinned Balkan Supreme.

I also took your recommendation about Sutliff Creme Brulee as being very similar to Molto Dolce. I understand that Molto Dolce uses Creme Brulee as its base, and then adds something, but so far I'm actually preferring the Creme Brulee. Whatever super sweet topping was added to make Molto Dolce seems to make it a little more one dimensional. Not to criticize, I love them both. Best aromatics I've tried. Giving Molto Dolce the benefit of the doubt, I'm comparing Creme Brulee to a tin of Molto Dolce which was opened more than a month ago, so it's not the freshest. I guess I'll have to finish that tin then crack a fresh tin of Molto Dolce and continue the comparison.

Reactions: spartacus

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've heard speculation that Balkan Sansieni is more or less just tinned Balkan Supreme.
I really can't discern much of a difference between the two of them. I picked up 20 pounds of Balkan Supreme back in the Spring as my cellar's Swan Song and know I could have done a lot worse.

Reactions: spartacus

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
In London a few days ago. Managed to sneak away from work for a couple of hours - The James J Fox store in Mayfair... OMG. What a wonderful place, and they have Germain's bulk tobacco. I snagged a big bag of 1820 flake, which I believe is the closest to PZ, in the UK and it it is quite lovely. I bought enough to take some home so, hopefully I'll be able to A/B sometime in the next year or so. In the meantime, I'm doing very nicely.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Sounds exhausting! :LOL:puffy

I recall that you're also a fan of Molto Dolce. Looks like you might have to do the comparison as well! I feel bad about blowing the lid on a company's premium blend by saying their cheaper similar blend is just as good (and maybe better?) but oh well puffy

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I recall that you're also a fan of Molto Dolce. Looks like you might have to do the comparison as well! I feel bad about blowing the lid on a company's premium blend by saying their cheaper similar blend is just as good (and maybe better?) but oh well
I am! I have a couple ounces of Creme Brulee standing by for a side by side. Just working through my (predominantly) non-aro rotation until the time comes.

Also ordered a number of different 1oz samples of some of their other bulk aros (and aromatic english blends) to give them a shot as well, some irish coffee, rum and maple, christmas spice, and mark twain in the aro dept. and some Count Pulaski, Burma Road, and Aromatic English. I like the Burma Road, but it's no FMC.

Also nabbed some virginia slices, 515, and dark stoved VA.

I went full Hog on the recent P&C sutliff bulk sale and ordered like a lb of 1oz samples for $30.

Reactions: lawdawg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I am! I have a couple ounces of Creme Brulee standing by for a side by side. Just working through my (predominantly) non-aro rotation until the time comes.

Also ordered a number of different 1oz samples of some of their other bulk aros (and aromatic english blends) to give them a shot as well, some irish coffee, rum and maple, christmas spice, and mark twain in the aro dept. and some Count Pulaski, Burma Road, and Aromatic English. I like the Burma Road, but it's no FMC.

Nice. Would like to hear your thoughts on those other blends, especially the English aros, if you find anything you like. I really like FMC as well as the somewhat comparable (and also no-longer-available since it was also made by McClelland) Iwan Ries Gourmet English. I've been smoking Country Squire Shepherd's Pie and really enjoying it, but would like to see what else is out there.

I wasn't too crazy about Sutliff Virginia Slices, but lots of people like it. I still have some in a jar from a year or so ago, and I've been meaning to revisit it. I tend to like darker Virginias anyhow.

Reactions: lightmybriar

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nice. Would like to hear your thoughts on those other blends, especially the English aros, if you find anything you like. I really like FMC as well as the somewhat comparable (and also no-longer-available since it was also made by McClelland) Iwan Ries Gourmet English. I've been smoking Country Squire Shepherd's Pie and really enjoying it, but would like to see what else is out there.

I wasn't too crazy about Sutliff Virginia Slices, but lots of people like it. I still have some in a jar from a year or so ago, and I've been meaning to revisit it. I tend to like darker Virginias anyhow.

Will do. Burma Road was solid.

Shepherd's Pie and Parson's blend are both on my list for when I eventually make a country squire order. Holding off for a while as I just have too much to try as it is. When watch city gets their simply red and rhythm and blues back in stock I'm probably going to make one big watch city/peretti/country squire order to try some of these more popular house blenders.

Sutliff's Stoved Va (507S) has a pretty good rep for a darker Va, that's why i nabbed some. As far as dark ones, McClelland Black Woods Flake is excellent, but here in the real world Wessex Campaign has a pretty good following. as do Astley's darker blends. I picked up some of each but haven't tried them yet.

Reactions: lawdawg
Status
Not open for further replies.