PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmypipper

Lurker
Mar 27, 2018
So I'm trying to figure out what my next English should be. I haven't tried too many but I like MM 965. I don't like Night Cap as much mostly due to the spiciness and it seems a bit one dimensional to me. I've narrowed it down I think to full flavored English mixtures without perique. I'm looking for something that is full flavored and complex.
Here's my short list.
Abingdon

Gaslight

Westminster

Squadron Leader

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Welcome to the forum......... Those are some dandy picks. Westminster is my all-time favorite English blend, I absolutely LOVE the stuff!....... :puffy:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I think Westminster is full flavored, and quite complex. Its got less "body" than 965, and isn't as sweet, but to me it has more flavor than 965. My English journey started with 965, I still smoke it occasionally, but it has a sweet note that I don't care for much these days......

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I agree- Nightcap is big on body and flavor. To me the 965 has a "chewiness" to it, probably from the cavendish in it. The interesting thing about this hobby is that everyone's taste is different, and its alot of fun trying new blends!

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Squadron Leader is a little lighter. All day smoke, kinda the stereotypical 'English' blend. Westminster is med/full, oriental forward English. Both are very good. You can't go wrong, with either.
I've never had the other two.
Oh, sidenote: 965 is my all time favorite pipe tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D Stratfordshire is a nice full-bodied blend. I also like their Night Bayou blend, but it has Perique. Both these, and various other C&D blends are in bulk and can be sampled in an ounce or two. While you are at it, you might like some of their burley blends, or blends that include burley.

Mar 29, 2016
Abingdon, a Balkan, is what you're looking for. Gaslight has a kind of a Nightcap character and Squadron Leader is your tasty and tamed, run of the mill English.

timmypipper

Lurker
Mar 27, 2018
Thanks for the help. I was leaning toward Abingdon. The whole Balkan - English thing still has me a little confused when it comes to taste.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
SG Balkan Flake
Lat bomb! Loved it 'til I got my first Lat burnout. Put me off Lat for a good while, now I'm working my way back with some more Oriental forward English blends where the Lat is more of a spice ingredient, i.e., London Mixture.

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
Old Ironsides (Dan Tobacco)
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/dan-tobacco/Old-Ironsides-50g/product_id/10499
003-293-0028.jpg

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
If you love 965 you might not enjoy SL. SL is much lighter. In fact it’s one of the lightest english I ever smoked. Westminster is nothing like 965 IMO. In fact it was created as as hommage to the old London mixture. It’s much more oriental forward such as Abingdon. If you look for a full bodied english with some sweetness then you should give Red Rappare or Black Mallory a try.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I’ve stocked up on that Pennsylvania company’s English blends.

Smyrna, #1, and #1&2 are all very pleasing to my palate.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Some friends of mine said go for:

1. torben dansk no. 4 english mixture

2. peter stokkebye english luxury

3. lane HGL (maybe some aromatics here, don't know it for sure)
that's what I can find in my country though.. :D

timmypipper

Lurker
Mar 27, 2018
@thomas what does “oriental forward” taste like. I think what I don’t like is spicy that’s why I’m saying no perique but I’m reading Quiet Nights isn’t spicy even though it has perique. Can orientals be peppery? If so maybe Abington is the wrong choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.