PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Lately I've been keeping my week's rotation at my table in a couple makeshift pipe stand I cut out of a cardboard pipe box. But I had been searching quite regularly for a good stand to set at the table that would hold some of my larger pipes but not take up too much room. Recently I had seen these 6 pipe stands on Smokingpipes.com and from the dimensions (14.25"L x 3.75"W ), and what looked like substantially sized cavities in the photos, I thought it would be perfect. So I pulled the trigger on I believe the last one they had in stock. I immediately sent the link to a friend and then checked the link and they were out of stock.
Well it finally arrived and I filled it up with pipes! As you can see in the photos I have three 320, a Stanwell 95 and 139, and a Nording Signature. Of course the 320's and Stanwell 95 with their large rounded bottoms still don't fit as well as I'd like, but they sit there ok. If bumped they might slide forward. A quick purposeful tap on one of the 320s made it slide forward, but not completely off the stand. Unless jolted I believe they'll be ok. Those of you who own a Savinelli or it's Rossi counterpart understand how hard it is to fit one of these on a normal stand plus leave room for another next to it. Also, the Nording is quite large but has a tapered dublin-esque shaped bowl and fits beautifully. The Stanwell 139 basically falls into the cavity. So this thing was clearly made with larger pipes in mind but a smaller pipe isn't going anywhere if bumped.
A little careful Dremel work or sanding would likely make a better fit for the large, rounded, ball like bowl shape of the 320, but I think I'm just going to leave it as is. All in all I'm quite happy with it, and I like the simple one piece design, perfect for a table or desk. They still have some 4 pipe stands of the same design, so I may grab one of those as well.
20180328_200528-600x449.jpg

20180328_200708-600x449.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
So tell us, Anthony, are you gonna fill it up with more 320s? Make it a rack dedicated to 320s?
No, it's just going to house the pipes I pick out for my weekly rotation which I keep at my table. Although, getting another one for the 320s isn't a bad idea. If I do, I will widen the cavities a bit so they fit a little better.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Jealous. One of these days I''m going to have to pull the trigger on some stands. Currently I have them just rolling around on the desk and on a shelf. Though I did finally get my shop pipes organized. Was staring at the pegboard and released I had a whole holder that wasn't doing anything.
68048026_1974233832739569664_o-vi.jpg

Jun 27, 2016
That's nice Anthony. Why are the cut-outs for the shank/stem areas angled? To steer the pipes in a fan shape? Maybe it helps to fit different-sized pipes. I could see myself wanting to install magnets into that. :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
Why are the cut-outs for the shank/stem areas angled? To steer the pipes in a fan shape? Maybe it helps to fit different-sized pipes.
They're not really angled. There are two different concaves... one for the bowl and one for the shank. Both being rounded out, where they meet gives some of them a wavy effect. All in all, it's a bit rustic and handmade in appearance so each setting might not be 100% identical to the next. But width and depth is pretty much spot on.
Edit to add: Akfilm, that rack is all a rack really needs to be, right? Pipes in easy reach and in plain site. :clap:

Jan 8, 2013
I just want to add a correction to my first post in this thread. I call the second pipe from the left a Stanwell 95 when in fact it's a 15. Why? I have no idea.... I think the 95s are ugly as sin. Must have had 95 on the brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.