PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Just thought I would put up my opinion on a few things here. First of all, the Build Your Own deal over at P&C is amazing. Being a WA resident, I was disappointed at first because I couldn't figure out how to not select the tobacco, and when I added it, then tried to remove it during checkout, I lost my whole bundle. However, using the contact option on the website, I got ahold of Dave who told me I could order by phone and still get the deal, minus tobacco thanks to ridiculous legislature. So I placed my order by phone on Tuesday. It arrived promptly this morning, faster than expected. The value of this deal is impressive, even without the tobacco. $75 got me the nice case, far better than what I had, the cool pipe shaped tool, the pipe cleaners, and last but not least, the black sandblast Stanwell Specialty pipe. More on that in a minute. I totalled up the value of just what I recieved, and it comes out to around 165 dollars. For the guys who can get the tobacco, it will be a good bit more. Again, amazing deal. So, on to the pipe...
Some of you know I was speculating on which pipe I would recieve, having seen some people get N4s, some get 172s, being told it was random, and trying to figure it out based on shape. Well, the last method was accurate. Today I recieved a beautiful 198. This pipe is stout, and after the first bowl, I can see it becoming my go to real fast. I was impressed by my Rattray's, and how well it smoked, but this little diplomat is showing me that "smokes itself" concept I hear so much about. I lightly loaded it up with Nightcap, stuck it in my mouth, and sat down with the P&C catalog. Before I knew it, the bowl was out and all that remained was white ash. Color me impressed.
http://www.alpascia.com/getImageVar.asp?img=img-76949-w580-h226.jpg
The shape is interesting, to say the least. It has a good sized chamber, slightly wide. The briar is thick and heavy towards the bottom of the bowl, and barely warmed. Its like someone knew my smoking style and crafted this shape for me. Its nice and comfortable in hand, and still barely light enough to clench. The blast is nice, and the metal insert/mount is a great feature. It has the 9mm option, which I like. I can choose to use it when I want to.
So, needless to say, I am pretty happy with this deal. I recommend it to anyone who wants another good briar, and is looking to get it for a steal. Im up to 2 Stanwells now, and I can finally fill a 3 pipe rack with good briars. I feel another run to the B&M for new blends coming...

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Glad all worked out well for you. I had looked at that special but I could not find pictures of the pipes that were listed for the special value package. I always at least like to see a picture or the actual pipe before I buy it.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
What a great looking pipe! I'm jealous, as current circumstances have put a pause on my PAD/TAD.
Stanwell is my favorite of the big pipe makers. May she provide you with a lifetime of pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.