PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
A heads-up to all who are interested in owning a functional cutter (as opposed to a man cave decorative antique):
Getting old choppers to actually work the way today's pipe smokers ASSUME they will takes a bit of refurb & enhancement.
The blades they were originally equipped with were thin and flexy, designed to cut off lengths of sold-by-the-inch rope in general stores. That's it. They were not designed to slice plug into neat 1.5mm slices, loaf-of-bread style. That requires a much stiffer blade that's flat on one side like a sushi knife, and sharpened to where you could almost shave with it.
Such a blade must be custom made when intended for a particular model of antique rope cutter, of course.
Then, once you have a good blade, the entire surface leading "up to" it from feed side must be made level. That means cutting free the staked brass piece that receives the blade's edge (it's there because iron would instantly destroy a razor edge), grind it to dead-flush and reinstall; and then fabricate an equally level platform for the plug to rest on while it is indexing forward. Not doing those things will make slicing a plug a tedious, frustrating process with a messy result. (Delaminated leaves, thick & crumbly slices, etc.)
- that's a good point George,

and some of the cutters are either of a poor design or made of cheap material and end up breaking, many of them have gear teeth for the fulcrum lever and get broken, and others just seem to have a tendency for breakage, maybe due to age I dunno...
...but when you go looking you'll see a lot of the "elf tobacco cutter" (a more vulgar name in some catalogs) and I've seen alot of those that were broken, it's kinda cute yeah, but as a functioning useful tool it seems to be lacking...
8jaZkR5.jpg

I swear by my Yankee Slicer as it is simple, solidly built, with ease of operation and easy to maintain, plus it's a smaller version than the bigger ones and easier to accomodate space-wise...
nXIQMXO.jpg

qrHtXeu.jpg

sb6KEJO.jpg
...and by God if I saw one of these British Joseph Elliot portable plug cutters with Sheffield blade for a reasonable price I'd buy it on the spot because this thing is cool as hell!!!!!
KcxDDWr.jpg
It's a cool thread.
:!:
I'd agree!
Mostly because I love plugs and everything about them.
There is an incredible variety of different plug cutters out there,

here's a few...
4C2A9yj.jpg

Z3z3SkZ.jpg

uJezj6j.jpg

AOT9kNS.jpg

G8Exdvf.jpg

q9Rpwh0.jpg

GY2TA9x.jpg

IYepU9J.jpg

CSyK7G8.jpg

riqSi8g.jpg

AsuqMlC.jpg

KTwK1qI.jpg

MVtiamn.jpg

Cb44Mpu.jpg

piI2YL5.jpg

B6GqvBA.jpg

tb56Ea2.jpg

6KFuke4.jpg

Z7EVWTo.jpg

HhnlaP4.jpg
Since I done went nutz with the images, might as well continue with the baccy itself, I don't know why they needed such elaborate devices because I thought that most chewing baccy was rather soft?
Maybe they come from an era before pre-cut plugs with "tin tags" were available?
Sent to the merchant in large pieces?
You notice than many of the cutters use a baccy name, like advertising for a certain brand.
Anyway,

chaw baccy used to be the most popular form of nicotine delivery in America by far,

even Micky Mouse's dog dug the plug!
u4HcoDd.png
So,

here's a neat little gallery of advertising from the age of USA chaw-plug baccies...
h6kaknp.jpg

kvbLIov.jpg

hvtZRzh.jpg

mbmKwBN.jpg

56rNokz.jpg

zvVUWn0.jpg

WqCdmA6.jpg

iEu6hHe.jpg

06yzIrI.jpg

09kAlH3.jpg

xzPHnm3.jpg

tUEmRFL.jpg

wHvsVlR.jpg

Lm9ktmw.jpg

yt0nwtL.jpg

QoQOQG2.jpg

WGyHZyC.jpg

DdBgMYg.jpg

I6Yi4dF.jpg

3MHRR6G.png

XcwKXYq.jpg

4sVGxxi.jpg

rOUkrg0.jpg

FUqF9go.jpg

z8ycBXI.jpg

4hutI1K.jpg

JjGAbLK.jpg

mmqUfpU.jpg

po4xynD.jpg

m4bV5PF.jpg

9tznKbE.jpg

gNsR1zL.jpg
Yet of course, there are always other solutions too,

like if you're the engineering type and you're on a quest for ultimate mechanical superiority,

then I'd recco this:

:!: :P :eek: :D 8O :) :puffy: :puffy: :puffy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRyfuk0ydrU

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Holy Shit, MLC 8O
The Pipeworld's crown jewel "Blue Collar Historian" (as in, everyday smoking equipment and materials, not the fancy stuff Ben Rapaport has written about for years), has struck again.
Dayum! :D :D :D

May 31, 2012
:mrgreen:
Blue collar?
I ain't got no collar!
LOL

...seriously,

my most fancy clothing is a 3D Basil Wolverton tee shirt!
Bet y'all didn't know that I also collect 3D comic books and old 3D glasses too!
I love that stuff.
01b440782c1cc5b97318f0d04046a195.jpg

3dz23glasses.jpg
...but,

back on topic:
you ever see those sheets they used to use for imprinting impressions on some brands of chawplug?
Pretty neato.
LC0028_1_MAIN__36772.1362597646.1280.1280.jpg

SC0033_1_MAIN__43369.1344575028.1280.1280.jpg
:
:
Just like the almighty Gallaher did with Warhorse back in the glory days...
zKSx46u.jpg

rfgfmei.jpg

2CVhA2u.jpg

yE6kjoR.jpg
And,

I remembered this old thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-coolest-plug-cutter-i-have-ever-seen
...that thing looks like it may have been used for production manufacturing or something.
:
:
And remember kids,

beware of the brain-bats!

:puffy:

tumblr_lunqwas6i41r5mbglo1_400.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Thank you Mctinner and MLC, I've been walking by these cutters at antique malls for years, thinking.....no, I don't NEED a plug cutter, I only WANT a plug cutter. I was able to steel my will and walk on by. Well damn it.....that's just no longer an option! Now I'm on the lookout for a nice specimen, especially that absolutely BADASS Battle Axe Plug cutter!

May 31, 2012
This makes me want the new version from Standard Tobacco to HURRY UP!
Although I still vehemently disagree with the decision to release a watered-down Warhorse ReadyRubbed on the market,

I must compliment SToP on their tenacity of getting the plug done up proper right 'n good, and thoroughly reviewing the considerations of veteran pipemen on the opinion of the prototype plug and delaying release in favor of further tweakings --- that is to be commended and I am thankful for such as not every baccy company would take such care --- and to note, I wasn't involved with any prototype sampling but I am aware of people who have been, most notably Les Trout, of whose observations I hold in high regard --- in short, I am stoked that it is taking longer than expected because that is a sign that it will be as it should be --- thank you Simon & Dan for being so diehard on this matter, it is greatly appreciated by a crumbling curmudgeon such as myself and I look forward to the Warhorse plug being easily available to pipemen here in the States.
Now I'm on the lookout for a nice specimen, especially that absolutely BADASS Battle Axe Plug cutter!
+100%
The Battle Ax Plug cutter is truly BADASS and I compliment your good eye,

wow, they did it up sumthin' fierce didn't they?

Good stuff fersure.
Please post a report if you ever come across one!!!!
:puffy:

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Great tobacco cutter Stan! Old cast iron stuff looks fantastic. Your specimen is awesone.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I used the Triumph to cut some 10 year old Bow Legged Bear. BLB is more dense than a crumble kake consistency, but it's not super dense either. The plug cutter worked real well on it.
img_1488-600x400.jpg

img_1489-600x400.jpg

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
the fancy stuff Ben Rapaport has written about for years), has struck again.
I hadn't heard of this guy before. The first time I googled his name, without a tobacco pipe qualifier, I got an actor and an auto correct.

btsteve

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2015
Sellersburg, Indiana
Wow, I love that Griswold cutter. I collect old cast iron, and that is some kind of find. I am envious! Now I am going to be looking for a plug cutter everywhere. Did you end up cleaning it up further or just leave it pretty much like you found it? If you want to clean the cast iron up you can use electrolysis, which removes all the rust and will clean it to pretty much to bare cast iron. It could then be restored with paint to near factory condition. I love posts like these, it is what makes this forum the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.