PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Not too long ago I asked for advice on the best new briar pipe to buy for under $200. ( http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/best-new-briar-pipe-for-under-200 ).

I got a lot of great advice and recommendations, and I became aware of some awesome pipes and I learned a lot. I ended up buying a Gabrieli pipe from Dan Chlebove. Dan calls this a bent Dublin Freehand. It is a fairly large pipe, but light and comfortable, a very nice stem, a little carving on the side which makes it comfortable to hold, and an ample bowl with thick walls. I expect I will get a long, cool smoke from this pipe. It came in a very nice leather pouch. Dan was a pleasure to deal with. He is very personable and approachable. He seems like a really good guy who loves making pipes. Dan made me a smoking deal on the pipe :wink: , and I couldn't be happier with my first new pipe. Now I get the fun of finally breaking in a new pipe. I will begin tonight when I have time to sit and enjoy. Will post the results of her maiden voyage!

Thank you, Dan.....you're the Man!

Cheers!

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
First the first bowl I'm thinking MM965, BlackHouse, or HH Vintage Syrian, my fave three at the moment.......but it is her first time, maybe something more gentle, like WhiteKnight or Balkan Sasieni. Any thoughts on how to approach the first bowl?

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
The stem Dan made is really fine. It tapers to a very thin bit, but feels very solid. I used to collect vintage saxophone mouthpieces, and this hard rubber stem smells like the vintage French Buffet mouthpieces I had. My other hard rubber stems really don't have this, or it's been ghosted over, but this one smells like the excellent old stuff the French were making those wonderful mouthpieces with.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Cliff,

A true aficianado you are, because thats the same high quality ebonite use in those mouth pieces and old Claranet bells;). Thank you!

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Congrats on your new pie...she's a real beauty...an eye catcher for sure! Enjoy!!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Congrats, Kane. I now have 4 Gabrieli's and love them all. I'm sure yours will be a favorite too. Dan can work a piece of briar like no one else. What do you think of the draw? Enjoy it.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thank you for the kind words, guys. I am sure I wouldn't have this sweet pipe if it wasn't for this forum.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Congratulations on a great choice, Kane. I have 3 Gabrieli's - all very different - and they are amazing smokers. Number 4 is underway right now. Dan is a superb craftsman who has had a long road to the recognition he's starting to get now. I've got a number of commissioned pipes but no-one else has engaged me in the process like Dan - I just hope he gets the time to continue that way! I'm sure she'll give you years of pleasure.
Andy

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks for bringing us up to date. It is gratifying to follow stories to their conclusion. Too often,somewhat starts a thread, asks for advice, and after much feedback from members, just drop out of site. Pun intended.
Pax

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Just a bit of news regarding Dan Chlebove. Pipes&Cigars just hired Dan to their staff as their in-house pipe expert. Dan will be working in Bethlehem along side of Russ O. It's nice to see a well deserving guy like Dan getting this opportunity to serve the pipe community.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Exactly right John - P&C have definitely got the best out of that deal. Dan, his knowledge and his experience will change their world.
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Always nice when a pipe recommendation request is followed up with information the purchase.

That's a fine looking pipe, plenty of bowl, well finished and balanced. Happy breaking-in! I like

your idea about MM 965.

Status
Not open for further replies.