PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
French pipe makers do some great work. Here's a shape thats not easy to execute well.

This is a Jeantet, with just a few fills that are hidden very well. Unsmoked and very affordable...
Anybody else out there who appreciate french briar?
VykGTzs.jpg

ZguyOTC.jpg

nNiJmYU.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I've always had a "thing" for panels, though never bought one. Maybe one of these days I will...

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I love panels and 4-squares, have 3 or 4. The Dunhill panel billiards from the 50s and 60s are especially fine.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have a Jeantet that is very similar. It’s a panelled pocket size pipe. Fantastic smoker for me, I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
I have a handful of great smoking French pipe: Ropp, Jobey, Parker and a couple GBD to name a few....

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
French pipes were always too small for my use, but that is a very attractive panel.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Jeantet was an old brand of pipe (since 1775), very good, we still find new ones in stock, but since

the year 2000 the brand was taken over by Chacom which now manufactures the current Jeantet.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
That's a very good looking octagonal Jeantet. I have a couple of Chacoms and they're fine smokers. Especially after removing the stingers, that didn't do much good IMO.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I'm a big fan of French pipes. Usually, (but not always) I'm a very slow smoker. The modest dimensions of many French pipes suit me well.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Among others French make I have had 3 Jeantets made by Chacom and they did offer fantastic price/quality ration and were my choice for smoking ribbon and shag cut tobaccoes, very lightweight and well finished, especially I liked the briar quality and in all probability will buy one of these again in the coming years.There is one vendor in France where one can still find these, La Pipe.fr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a French pipe maker booster. I remind people that the French made briar the standard pipe material and created most of the classic traditional shapes we associate with English pipes. The somewhat tight knit pipe making community in France has a strong competitive tradition and almost always exceeds their price points in quality. I have Butz-Choquin, Choquin, Chacom, Genod, Ropp, and Villiard. Someone mentioned Parker; I thought that was English made, but many pipes seem to have some of the work done in France or Italy these days. I think new pipe smokers do well to buy French pipes because they are dependably well made, or anyone else for that matter. The French do great panel pipes around other shapes, lovely work. Remember smaller bowls, if that's what you have, give a full-length smoke with flake, plug, coin or rope, and are great for shorter smokes with loose cut.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I think it's because originally it was a lot of small, almost family craft factories, because in this area of St.Claude in the Jura there was a tradition of woodworking at home. winter when everything was frozen.
So these small factories had to do some neat work to survive the competition, even today they are not big industrial factories.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I love my French pipes Chacom Champagne, Lamy Meerschaum Lined bought early on and still going strong.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
At the beginning at the 90ties Jeantets Danish agent found old stock in St.Claude.

They were sold all over the country for about Dkr 100 each ( GBP 11/ USD 12 )at tobacconists.

Some were stamped "Reserve du Jubilee".Fine pipes and some old shapes.

When my tobacconist got new home I was allowed to open the boxes and choose, so I have about

3 - 4 dozen

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I forgot to mention that Londonmakes Jeantet could be one of those - fine pipe.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Jeantet's a good name, & they do panels well, which ain't all that easy. I've got a couple of nice little French pipes that I keep for when I need just a short bowl. Not a daggone thing wrong with a good French smoke.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Thanks for all the interesting responses!

Love the way algerian briar colors with smoking, if you get a natural finish piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.