PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Got a great deal on this Brigham. Below are photos of the "Before" followed by the "Afters" I restored it. Anyone know anything about this particular Brigham (age, era)? The nomenclature is not one highlighted in Pipedia or elsewhere. As can be seen below in the 2nd to the last photo, "Brigham" (faint, but there) with no "Made in Canada" nor patent number. I became more interested after trying it out tonight with some Bayou Morning. Very impressed.

BEFORE

AFTER

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Update: I contacted a Brigham expert I heard about in another thread. He informs that this is a 90s pipe (I was hoping for older). However, it was Canadian made, so that's a positive. Evidently, Brigham moved production outside of Canada some time in the 2000s. I would have bummed if this pipe was not Canadian made.

These were semi-finished, rough carved pipes, sold originally at the Toronto Sportsman Show to hunters, anglers etc. Ironically, in finishing the pipe extensively I inadvertently ruined its original purpose. Still, I like its intended purpose and having the background on the pipe. That's a big part of the joy of being a piper, right?

Reactions: saintpeter

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Update: I contacted a Brigham expert I heard about in another thread. He informs that this is a 90s pipe (I was hoping for older). However, it was Canadian made, so that's a positive. Evidently, Brigham moved production outside of Canada some time in the 2000s. I would have bummed if this pipe was not Canadian made.

These were semi-finished, rough carved pipes, sold originally at the Toronto Sportsman Show to hunters, anglers etc. Ironically, in finishing the pipe extensively I inadvertently ruined its original purpose. Still, I like its intended purpose and having the background on the pipe. That's a big part of the joy of being a piper, right?
Absolutely! Great job restoring that previously sad looking pipe. How does she smoke?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Quite distinctive. That one came from Canada for sure. Are you going to smoke it with the rock maple inserts? I think it will work either way. They're all made in Italy today, I think.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nowadays, they are made in Italy and France. The three lower tiers (or dots) –Voyageur, Algonquin, and Mountaineer– are Italian, whilst the upper tiers –Chinook, Heritage, Klondike, and Acadian– are French. I'm assuming the President series are made in France too.

They've also dropped the dots for the French-made pipes.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Quite distinctive. That one came from Canada for sure. Are you going to smoke it with the rock maple inserts? I think it will work either way. They're all made in Italy today, I think.

I smoked it without the insert last night (my first time) and I was more than satisfied with the experience. I do not plan on using the insert at this point. Perhaps curiosity will inspire to do so in the future... we shall see.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I measured the lumen of my new Brigham without the insert and it's ~3mm in diameter: just about the draught from a cob. The draught hole, however, is narrower. Maybe smoking it sans the insert will get you a reverse calabash kind of smoke.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
7charb, I'm actually going to start using the maple filter. I've been smoking my Brigham's without a filter but with the discussion in another thread on the cleaning and reusing of the maple filters, it drove home the point on the amount of gunk that passes thru the stem and into us. My thinking is any reduction is a good thing, right?

Last edited:

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I measured the lumen of my new Brigham without the insert and it's ~3mm in diameter: just about the draught from a cob. The draught hole, however, is narrower. Maybe smoking it sans the insert will get you a reverse calabash kind of smoke.

Interesting. I don't have any filter pipes other than this new Brigham and I did not smoke it with a filter. That's important to note. However, I did smoke a pre-1962 Edwards (a non-filter pipe) immediately after smoking the Brigham. Edwards is one of my favorite pipe makers. I have 4 Edwards pipes. The Brigham, again without the filter, provided a significantly better smoking experience for me. Of course, this is totally subjective. However, it is my personal experience.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
7charb, I'm actually going to start using the maple filter. I've been smoking my Brigham's without a filter but with the discussion in another thread on the cleaning and reusing of the maple filters, it drove home the point on the amount of gunk that passes thru the stem and into us. My thinking is any any reduction is a good thing, right?

mau1, please re-post on the thread after you try the same pipe with the filter. I am very interested in hearing about your thoughts about your experience of with and without the filter. I am personally interested in knowing which way provided more smoking pleasure/enjoyment, not so much about the health aspect. I smoke pipes about 3-4 days per week and only in the evenings, so I am not too worried about the health aspect of smoking a pipe (no offense to the everyday brothers).

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I will. I too was thinking on sharing my opinion after using the filter. I've got about one hundred of the things that have come with the various pipes I've bought. Will keep you posted.

Reactions: Humblepipe
Status
Not open for further replies.