PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
My third place prize for the May cartoon caption contest, a Brigham Voyager 103, arrived yesterday. I got a chance to open it this evening (YABO forth coming) and wanted to share a photo of it with you all:

It really is a good looking pipe! I can't wait to try her out, tomorrow hopefully. This is my first Brigham and I'm anxious to see how it, and the rock maple filter, do/does.
Thanks again to Kevin, PM.com, Isaac and smokingpipes.com.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have a 103 as well. Nice to smoke. Thin walls get a little warm but nothing to worry about if smoked slow. Enjoy it! Brighams are nice pipes!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I don't have a Brigham pipe as yet, but have been looking at them. I didn't realize that the filter should be changed for each smoke? The price structure for the pipes is quite reasonable IMO and they have quite a number of classic shapes available. Let us know how your winning pipe breaks in for you and congratulations. :clap:

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I really enjoy my Brigham's. You should love it, they are darn good smokers!

As fr the rock maple filter, I change mine when it turns dark brown, not at every smoke. I have not had any ghosting issues this way either. Also, the filters can be rinsed under water and dried outside of the pipe to increase life.

This is at least what I have found in my experiences.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I change my filters when they get wet. I let them air dry in an empty tobacco tin on my shelf and reuse them until they are dark brown. I never rinse them with water or alcohol and have never had a problem with them. I find they do constrict air flow a little bit so I just pack looser to avoid any draw issues. A regular size pipe cleaner will fit down inside the stem with a filter in if you have issues with gurgling. When mine gurgle I remove the stem and blow the excess moisture from the filter and replace it with a dry one and it's fine.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I change my filters when they get wet. I let them air dry in an empty tobacco tin on my shelf and reuse them until they are dark brown. I never rinse them with water or alcohol and have never had a problem with them. I find they do constrict air flow a little bit so I just pack looser to avoid any draw issues. A regular size pipe cleaner will fit down inside the stem with a filter in if you have issues with gurgling. When mine gurgle I remove the stem and blow the excess moisture from the filter and replace it with a dry one and it's fine.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks for the kind words and tips!
I fired it up this morning with some Capital Stairs and it smoked like a champ, right down to all ash. I think I'm going really like it: nice shape, nice hand feel, a tad heavy so I put a softy bit on to save the stem, and no gurgle at all (I guess the new filter negated the new pipe gurgle). Anyway, I reckon I need to get some extra filters now as I think she's a keeper.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
A beauty - are you using the rock maples filters?
Yes, so far I have. I expect that I so continue to as well; Fisher said that was important and I think he knows what he's talking about (meant in total sincerity, since posts aren't always as easy to rightly communicate what you mean without voice inflection and body language). I just hope I don't smoke through this one before I can place my next order or she will have an extended rest. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.