PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
My new morta pipe died!
I only smoked it 3 times and before anyone starts thinking I was puffing on it like a freight train believe me I babied it.
After the first smoke I noticed 2 hairline cracks on opposite sides of the bowl, I contacted the seller and they said it could just be surface fissures and to smoke it some more to see what happens. This I did and after 2 (very slow & cool) bowls later the result was what you can see in the pictures (I shone a light inside the bowl to make it obvious what's happened).
The little cracks turned into splits on both sides (you can see the light shinning out), anyway needless to say I was gutted. The seller asked if there was another pipe I liked the look of and I chose a briar bullcap the pictures of which are also included below.

Chris

And my new pipe.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018
England
Your replacement is a beautiful pipe.

I don't think any amount of pipemud is fixing that morta!

Thanks mate, I've wanted a bulldog shape for quite a while now so took the plunge and ponied up the difference of £21.
I don't think there's any way of saving the morta, I thought about maybe getting a silver band repair but the pipe is literally split on both sides and that's after just 3 bowls. My guess is it will keep getting worse with each smoke so it'll just have to be a pipe shaped ornament from now on I'm afraid.

Chris.

Reactions: saintpeter

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I keep reading about Morta pipes cracking and these stories have fizzled my resolve to add one to my collection.

Is it perhaps not the best material for tobak?

Reactions: anotherbob
Jun 9, 2018
England
I keep reading about Morta pipes cracking and these stories have fizzled my resolve to add one to my collection.

Is it perhaps not the best material for tobak?
I know there are plenty of lads on the forum who have mortas and love them, I think maybe I've just been unlucky?
I did read on Davorin Denovic's website that he checks the morta with a microscope to look for any flaws and he also heats the pipe up to stress test it and show up any problems. I'd probably only consider a Davorin morta after the problems I've had but at the moment they are out of my price range and also I smoke a 9mm most of the time and I can't recall seeing any of his that take a filter.
I did see on his site he was (they're all gone now) selling a special anniversary pipe and it said that could be fitted with a 9mm stem so maybe if I wanted one I'd have to see if he'd do a commission.
Like I said I've probably just been unlucky but it has made me a bit wary that's for sure.

Chris.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've got three Morta pipes. Had no problems with any of them. Briar pipes can have similar problems although they are usually from an unseen sand pit just below the surface.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a shame about the morta. I like the idea of their light weight, but if this is somewhat common, it's a reason to at least buy morta with caution. The replacement looks superb, as if it will be around for decades to come.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I've got three Morta pipes. Had no problems with any of them. Briar pipes can have similar problems although they are usually from an unseen sand pit just below the surface.

Yeah I've probably just been unlucky, the first 2 I had were both from the same batch and the shop said many had been returned by other customers for the same reason ie cracks.
The one I just bought obviously had some sort of flaw in the morta as the 2 cracks/splits were on opposite sides of the bowl.
If you don't mind me asking Hoosier what make/carver are your 3 mortas?

Chris.

Jun 9, 2018
England
That's a shame about the morta. I like the idea of their light weight, but if this is somewhat common, it's a reason to at least buy morta with caution. The replacement looks superb, as if it will be around for decades to come.

Thanks MSO mate it is indeed a lovely pipe, I've had a bowl in it and it smoked like a champ.
The morta that just broke was a pretty hefty pipe with big thick walls and was indeed very light for its size.
I'll definitely get another morta at some point but at the moment any spare cash I have will now be going on tobacco for my cellar.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.