PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Have read much about using Mason jars for storage, I have been doing so for 3 months and of the 22 jars, half have now already sealed themselves so they no longer make the "cricket" sound when I press on the top. Am I just lucky or does this happen fairly fast?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It really depends on the tobacco and how full it is. I have some that have been in jars for awhile that have not sealed yet but most have. I will be sitting here and then hear a pop as they seal. Its a comforting feeling though.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I hear an occasional pop from the 12 cases of jars in my cellar. No tellin' what percentage that comes to.

Is that suction important for aging? I've opened many jars that had not yet sealed, and the tobacco seemed OK.

Jan 8, 2013
When I first began storing tobacco in jars, I was asleep one night in the same room and (I kid you not...scouts honor) four of my jars sealed simultaneously. All within about 2 seconds. I was awaken suddenly by the sound of "ping...pang ping...pang" Scared the freaking crap out of me. I woke up and looked all over the place for what the sound was or came from... peeking out my window, making sure my door and windows were good and locked. Kept the lights off and had a very big knife in my hand lol. After determining there was no funny stuff going on, I looked all over the place just trying to figure out what the noise was, and then I remembered reading about jars sealing here on the forums. So, I checked my jars and sure enough some of them had sealed. I'll never forget that.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
It's a good sound to hear =]
I remember when I heard my first "pop", my girlfriend started getting scared because she didn't know what the sounds were or where they were coming from.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I think they are creating a vacuum when you cant get the top to click anymore. I think they are are sealed once you put the inner lid on and screw down the outer lid.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
For the most part it's the weather. Not whether they are "sealed" or not. Unless you screwed the tops on with REALLY hot air inside, allowing them to "seal" when that air cools, it's that the barometer is generally higher in the winter, even if the temperature in your house remains the same all year. That, and most people don't heat their house as warm in the winter as they cool it down to in the Summer.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Ahahahahahaha! I'm so glad somebody addressed the sealing noises! I sleep with the jars near my bed, next to the window and I was freaked out when I heard the popping. My experience parallels AnythonyRosenthal74's. I never realized that's what was making the noises until I read this thread.
I put an ounce of tobacco in a pint jar and found that it was sealed within 2-3 days.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, they do indeed seal at times. I've never heard the lids 'pop' as I have all of my jars in the basement in a very large cooler (damn cold in the winter). But, it really doesn't make any difference to me as I eventually pop them open when I wish to delve into a particular jar and smoke a bowl. However, if by chance the lid pops down that does not mean you cannot use it again as the suction created is not that strong and they will, eventually, 'collapse' again. Even if you feel that the lid has lost it's integrity to 'collapse', as it were, does not necessarily mean that it is useless to keep the jar sealed. But, when in doubt purchase new lids as they are very cheap whereas tobacco is not! :wink:

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Unless you're cooking your tobacco, that "pop" means absolutely nothing except that the temperature is colder and/or the barometric pressure is higher than the moment when you first tightened the lid.

dlgillen

Lurker
Dec 8, 2009
911 whats your emergency? ....."I was awaken suddenly by the sound of "ping...pang ping...pang" Scared the freaking crap out of me. I woke up and looked all over the place for what the sound was or came from... peeking out my window, making sure my door and windows were good and locked."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I've had several do that to me. Scared me when I first heard them. It's usually been in the fall/winter for me.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I've had many a jar pop on me on the way home from the store where I just bought them. It's just a temperature/pressure differential.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Scared the hell out of me in the first time I heard a jar pop like that. Rather baffling as well.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Haha I laughed so hard at the video of the guy with the owl. I am rarely home alone; so when I am every strange sound is met with my 12 gauge. Jumpy person, can relate haha.
I have a box full of mason jard that pinge occasionally. I somehow find it kind of soothing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think jmatt and jitterbugdude have nailed it. :puffpipe:
  • Unless you're cooking your tobacco, that "pop" means absolutely nothing except that the temperature is colder and/or the barometric pressure is higher than the moment when you first tightened the lid.

But some folks have said that microbial activity binds gas molecules, and less gas means less pressure, more pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.