PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Sometimes I simply put on Dylan's Highlands and light a slow burning flake. I play the song on repeat until the bowl is finished. ATM it's PPP and Highlands with a strong beer on the side. Highlands is 16 minutes and this will take 5-6 replays. It's very satisfying.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
A masterpiece indeed.......... In fact, the whole "Time out of Mind" album is magical.

I credit that album for helping me get through a long, bitter, heartbroken divorce, back in 2007..........

I had the CD on repeat for weeks, maybe months........ I don't really recall as it was a crazy/hazy period in my life, but I'll always credit Dylan for pulling me through. Seems like every song on that one spoke to me.......... :puffy:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I listened to my dads LPs as a kid. Highway 61 and Dylan at Budokan. At 18 I'd more or less forgotten about it and then Time Out of Mind came out. It is indeed magical!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Dylan is an acquired taste I never acquired. I can't get used to the artificiality of his voice. He may be a great songwriter and had a long career, attesting o the fact of a strong following, but I can't get to what he does well because of the contrived voice.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@Beef: When I think of or listen to Time Out of Mind I always remember your comments about it. You mentioned that a long time ago when I posted Highlands. It's easy to imagine how you embraced that album at that time.
@Salt: If you've never listened to Time Out of Mind, it just might cure you of your issues with his voice. That album is somehow on a different plane than anything else.
"I've got blue eyes, everything looks faaaaar away"
You know, blue eyes works great too...and it could have easily been that...but it's actually "new eyes". And that is one of my favorite verses from it:
The sun is beginning to shine on me

But it’s not like the sun that used to be

The party’s over and there’s less and less to say

I got new eyes

Everything looks far away

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
An interesting in depth analysis of Highlands:
Excerpt:
‘Highlands’ may be regarded as Dylan’s final testimony. Dylan’s final testimony, not only of the album ‘Time out of Mind’ but of his entire works. When ‘Time out of Mind’ was released in 1997, seven years had passed since his last release of original material in 1990 when the album ‘Under the Red Sky was released. At the time in 1997 there was a strong sense that ‘this was it’ – it might be Dylan’s last album. ‘Highlands’ itself contributes to this feeling when Dylan states: ‘The party is over and there’s less and less to say’, apparently not taking it for granted that at least 3 albums would follow.
Although there is an outtake of the song which is even much longer than the final version which ended up on the album, the song is the longest Dylan ever recorded (16:31). The song’s title is borrowed from the poem ‘My Heart’s in the Highlands’ by the Scottish poet Robert Burns.
https://www.keesdegraaf.com/media/Misc/720p166o4al951u89gs42smj641ue91.pdf

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
@ Brian- Yep, I remember that too....... Funny how certain songs, albums can evoke memories. I've always been fascinated by that.

An interesting in depth analysis of Highlands:
I'll have to give this one a read- thanks for the link!
Here's a good article(review?) of Time out of Mind that I read this past summer. Sometimes these are hit or miss- this one "hits" it I think. I found it interesting.......
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/bob-dylan-time-out-of-mind/
And Salt- I agree that you should give this one a go........... It's "different" than most of his works, hard to explain, but there's a lifetime of lessons in that album........ :puffy:

Dec 28, 2015
Personally I have always loved Dylan. I used to strongly defend him to those who criticized him. Then I began to take pride in the fact that I liked him when they didn’t. Eventually I just became indifferent to other people’s opinion of his voice or the fact that I like it. Actually I feel that way about any opinons concerning any of my favorite artists. Not that anyone asked or cares for that matter.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Music I just never cared for

Dylan

Grateful Dead

Phish

The Beatles

Pink Floyd
But I enjoy

The Who

Yes

Rolling Stones

Genesis

Celtic Punk
But Hey, I don't care for latakia forward blends.
But I'm glad you enjoy it and really have moments of bliss

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@trudger: I love that line too.
Here's a good article(review?) of Time out of Mind that I read this past summer.
That was a good article Beef...and it covered the necessary ground to put TOOM in the proper context.
And I liked this statement:
In the end, that rebirth was Time Out of Mind, Dylan’s 30th album and one that doesn’t sound much like the basic blues at all. Instead, it is an essential post-modern reappraisal of them, an experimental consideration of what could become of the blues’ sound and spirit and a mutual communion of articulate, exquisite despair.
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/bob-dylan-time-out-of-mind/
Also, I had forgotten the time frame when Dylan had the heart ailment and nearly died. Interesting timing that it was just prior to the album coming out. I guess it almost was his last album.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
ashdigger funny, the Beatles and Pink Floyd though contemporary to each other, are fundamentally different, and non the less you don't care for any. The Beatles ... I always thought they were over rated, but Pink Floyd made some amazing music.

Status
Not open for further replies.