PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
There was a thread named, "show us your GBD's" --->Fourm here and I was gonna post mine. I got it all cleaned and polished and then this happened!
brokepipe.jpg

It's a Pinner Giant and was a great smoker.
My first thought was...Oh SH!T, 2nd thought, get the crazy glue, then it sunk in that I can't use crazy glue...
Does anyone know if there is something I can buy at a hardware store to fix this, Or would I have to send it to a professional?

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Walker Briar Works. Sorry, that looks like a heartbreaker. I have a pipe with a particularly delicate sized tenon, I've broken and replaced the stem in that pipe almost as many times as I've smoked it. Good luck.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
TopD you can try Floyd Norwood and his wife , I have used them for stem repairs and xtra stems, good,fast,cheap, and just down right good country folks. The old cajun

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Walker charges around $30 for a new stem, that one looks worth saving. He also sells a Delrin plug, that is drilled to accept a threaded tenon insert back into the vulcanite stem. You just have to drill and tap the stem to accept the insert.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think it's definitely worth the repair costs. The roundel from the old stem could probably be moved to

the replacement stem as well. Costs pale in comparison to the value -- especially if it's a good smoker.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Worth saving? Yes, although I believe that the rondelle is not brass but, from the picture, imprinted as are the later pipes. I can vouch for Floyd Norwood's work. He's rescued a few of my pipes.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
DOH!!! I did that to the second pipe I ever bought. It is a crappy ole basket pipe though. I'd talk to Lonestar. He makes fantastic pipes and his prices are awesome. Maybe he can help you out.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I had the same exact thing happen to my favorite pipe! Still sitting with the others, broken. Too cheap of a pipe to send it out.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
sorry for bad luck sjpipesmoker, i know you can have just the tendon repaired instead of a full stem repalcment. i have had only tendons relaced.
take care.

mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.