PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have written 28 pages of scholarly work (3 separate ones) in the last 18 hours, and have 12 to go (final) before midnight tonite.
Not achingly cramped like they get from handwriting, but a general fatigue where I am making way too many typos and poor punctuation mistakes.
WHY oh WHY do I procrastinate so? The 3.9 GPA is the culprit I suspect. Anyhoo, wish me luck!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I know your pain. I authored 7 reports yesterday all being between 7 and 9 pages. I set a timer and get up at least once an hour. It really helps.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It took a few teachers, some late nights and resulting low grades to learn that I did not, in fact, work better under pressure. I simply worked faster. The results were not as deep and insightful as I firmly believed them to be.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Yes best off luck, you will reap the benefits at the end. Smoke a bowl say for 30 minutes then get back to it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just knew if I got behind I'd be lost, so I'd start a term paper as soon as it was assigned. I had a pretty good system -- small index cards for bibliog., big ones coded to the small cards for notes. Likewise reading. I knew if I didn't feed the info into my brain over time I wouldn't absorb any of it. In a sense, it was laziness put to good use. Final week was a kind of a freaky high, not that I was such a great student, but that I could unload all this material rapidly.

May 4, 2015
giphy.gif

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I learned early in college not to procrastinate. I had a prof ask me once, "Why are you playing pool before finals?"
"I have my notes memorized."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...also, I couldn't even process exam questions without a good night's sleep. I couldn't bring myself into focus as to what I was being asked. People felt like the suffering involved in cramming would somehow make them deserve a good grade. I knew it wouldn't work for me, though perhaps it did for some. Oddly, I always knew if I felt really breezy and good about how I did on an exam, I probably didn't do too well, whereas if I was aware of the gaps in my knowledge, that was a signal that I'd done pretty well, maybe better.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Business school was easy enough that I could afford the luxury of procastinating. The same could not be said for Comp Sci. It was so heavily math orieted and coding required practice. Memorising was only the very first step and was worthless without complete understanding and knowing how to apply.
I recall working hard all semester long and then had to cram for weeks before the finals and it was still far from easy.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's brutal, and ineffective.
In my experience, the best coders are naturals who picked it up by themselves.
The schooling beats the joy in geekdom from many people.
Glad you made it through.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Came in at 39.5 pages, total (which was ok). My summer break finally began yesterday (and runs through the 20th of August).
I spent yesterday putting a new clutch in my Gambler 500 vehicle. I will post a thread about that soon.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
deathmetal I dig.

I actually didn't truly enjoy writing code until 3 years into my career when i stumbled onto a colleague who showed me what engineering is all about and how good coders are artists in their field.
From there my curiosity and stubborness took over and I started loving every moment.
The greatest part is the stillness of it all. Not too much human interaction. Thom York put it best with "No alarms and no surprises, silence".

Status
Not open for further replies.