PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
OK I am branching out in my tobacco endeavors! I do really enjoy the aromatics that I have, but have been very curious about other blends. So ran up to my local B & M and talked to him about some VA blends that I maybe would enjoy.
So the one I have tried so far is called Whatcom Blend. It is a nice VA with golden and red mixed in. I believe he said there was a hint of burley. I just have to say it was a fantastic smoke, I got a nice subtle sweetness to the smoke along with a hint of nuttiness. The sweetness was kinda reminiscent of figs dipped in honey with a hazelnut background . I got a nice toasted flavor along with it. I must say it was a fantastic smoke.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Glad you're enjoying your smoke.

I think after six months, I've hit a point where I'm really starting to enjoy my pipes naturally, and with little effort, whereas before, I had to do some strenuous thinking to enjoy my pipe. I've enjoyed nearly every bowl over the last six months, but it's getting easier with time.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I've had the bug off and on for years and have now just really started to truly enjoy everything about pipe smoking. Aromatics pleased the people around me but didn't please me. Stepped up to English blends and started to enjoy smoking more but when I discovered Va. and Va/per's now it's a whole new level of enjoyment. Glad you discovered them and hope you continue to.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I love my Latakia, but nothing compares to a sweet mix of Virginas! It's even better when she brings her Cajun sister Perique along!
For the dark (but sweet) side of Virginia try some Stoved VA like McClelland's 221-B Black Shag. It's black in the tin, but the mellow sweetness will amaze you and it's not as bitey as that wily red VA!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Agreed! Belgian Mick bought a tin at one of the Texas meetups and he decided he didn't want it because he thought it had Latakia in it. We were sure it had Perique by the smell. I did the same thing. I looked at the tin and researched online and sure enough! All VA! I've bought about 4 more tins since then. I love it!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Black shag hmmm...my tobacconist had some Stove VA in bulk...it had a nice aroma to it. Maybe I shall try some.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bigboi, congrats on your finding a Virginia blend you enjoy. This is just the beginning, you are now ready to delve into the world of VA and Vaper flakes. You want sweet flavors, spicy flaavors, dried fig or plum flavors, honey flavors and molasses flavors all from natural tobaccos? The world is your oyster my good man.
Here is a list of my current rotation, hopefully you will find some of your favorites down the road from it. The TR next to a name means tin ready( ready to smoke out of the tin with no drying time, I cube cut all my flakes as I have found this works better than fold and stuff and rubbing out for me. If you have any questions on any of them, please feel free to ask. I am very sensitive to acid burn on the tongue so all of my favorites have little to no red virginia's in it. They are great for a beginner because of this, even if your technique is not great, you will not get punished for it like with other Virginia's especially the Red's. I am not saying you can just go at them like a cigar but even if you get a little aggressive, you will be ok.
Virginia Flakes:

Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Fribourg and Treyer Vintage

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Brick

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake

Hamborger Veermaster

Dunhill Flake TR

Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR

Solani Silver Flake TR

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake TR

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Esoterica Stonehaven

Rotary Navy Cut

Petersons Irish Flake
Virginia/Perique Flakes

Escudo

Solani 633 TR

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
roth, that was a great description, very well said. Virginia's are so much like a woman, always complex, sweet as sugar and if not treated right will rip your eyes out.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for the list Cigrmaster. I want to explore other options in tobacco as well and agree that while the aros smell great, the taste is not as nice as the room note. Very one sided or one dimensional.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Good stuff on that list Harris!
Cracked open John Aylesbury Luxury Flake tonight. Yum!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I think I truly began to enjoy pipe smoking when I discovered Virginias. I enjoy English (Latakia) blends but I keep coming back to my Virginias as I find them so satisfying. Just the right amount of nic too :)

Note: I actually copied and pasted cigrmaster's list to a Word file!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
To me, a good virginia blend is like an interesting woman -- not easy to get to know or understand -- and a bit of a challenge, but soooo worth the effort
Great post Roth - didn't know you were such a poet!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Wow, thanks for the list. My buddy gave me some Samuel Gawith Navy flake I am going to try! I will have to see tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.