PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I would get a Couple three Cobs by Missouri Meerschaum but if you want a briar, here are some deals

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/gift-guide/the-right-price-sale/?=&v=5000&slide=2

Missouri Meerschaum also sells a pack of 10 2nds for around $30 as I recall.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Welcome. Visit the 4noggins website, They have several pipes in that price range or less. Good luck. :puffy:

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'm a beginner, too. If you can afford $100, check out the Peterson Donegal Rocky pipes. I like smokingpipes.com for searching pipes. The photo you view is the pipe you get. My first two pipes were Petersons. The Fishtail stem is the normal style. The P-Lip is unique, I think, to Peterson. Mine are Fishtails.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
maxx, p-lips and fish tales? for a beginner? Let's start with the assumption that this individual has very little experience with a pipe.

Frankly, I think that threads begun like this one, with just a little nudge in the direction of seeking advice from forum members without providing nearly enough background information should be regarded with suspicion.
ibejeffries09, Welcome to pipesmagazine.com forums. Do you have a pipe now? Do you have tobacco? If not, you have come to the right place.

mike

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
In the 50 to 60 bucks range, I would recommend either Stanwell or a Savinelli both are excellent pipes for that price.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
lbjeffries07, Welcome to the forums. I second jackswilling's recommendation that you start with cobs. I recommend these cobs in particular.
Missouri Pride

Eaton
Both pipes' bowls have been left with their natural exterior, which will help keep the pipe cool. The Missouri Pride is of a general purpose size and will smoke well with just about any tobacco you choose. The Eaton has a narrower tobacco chamber, and will be better for any flake tobaccos you might try. Smoke the Missouri Pride without a filter. The Eaton is unfiltered.
Buying inexpensive cobs as your first pipes has a number of advantages. First, they are great, easy-smoking pipes. Second, they are inexpensive, so if you get a little over-exuberant in your smoking and burn one out, your losses are small. Third, they leave you more money to start your journey as a pipe smoker with better quality tobaccos (though I recommend Carter Hall as a first pipe tobacco). Fourth, if you take good care of a cob, it will last years, even decades. I have a Missouri Meerschaum cob from the 1920s that is still alive and well.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman is awesome for under 10 bucks. My first pipe was a Lorenzetti Titus 23.I just smoked it this morning. I've dedicated it to blends containing Latakia. You might want to look into the Savinelli Naturals. They are a round 50 bucks I think. They smoke really well. That was my second briar. I still enjoy it up to now. Also, you cant go wrong with the Stanwell Brushed pipes. Mine was around 50 bucks and it is one of my best pipes.
I found that smoking cobs at first was more forgiving. Less pain in the butt to keep lit and didn't get too hot. I still smoke my cobs most of the time.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I second the Missouri Meerschaum cobs. Get several. They'll smoke as good or better than most $100 briars. I like the General or the Freehand but get the ones that appeal to you.
If you absolutely must have Briar, check out Savinellis or Stanwells. I recently purchased a Brushed Black Stanwell Poker for $49.00 that smokes as good as any pipe I have. There are dozens of shapes to choose from in the Brushed Black or Brown line at pipesandcigars.com. Finish isn't bad, either.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/66514/stanwell-brushed-black-pipes/

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I recently got my first Stanwell and am duly impressed. More to follow. Really like the Missouri Meerschaum Mark Twain.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome to the site! Cobbs are a great starting pipe. Stanwells/Savinellis are great briars. If you like Savinelli shapes, check out Rossi pipes. They are even less expensive versions of Savinelli pipes.
Take care and good luck!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Smoking Pipes discovered a bunch of old but non-smoked French pipes in your range. Called Bruyere St. Claude, they were made between 1910 and 1930 or so. They're in your price range.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/bruyere-st-claude/?utm_source=Smokingpipes.com&utm_campaign=13e34c1e9c-Wednesday_April_29_2015_Bruyere_St_Claude4_29_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0e8b6a473f-13e34c1e9c-209207953

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
What about Dr. Grabow? They are briar, and mine has taken a hell of a beaten and smokes great. I got mine in a commercial Drug Store, Rite-Aid. I payed less then $30 for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
P&C has the already mentioned black brushed (and also brown brushed) pipes in a nice array of shapes for just under fifty dollars. Definitely start with the cobs, and if you are happy with them, stay with them exclusively indefinitely. Also at P&C right now are unfinished Savenellis which are wonderful pipes and gain pleasant color with age; they are around fifty bucks. Also look at tobaccopipes.com at their selection of Chapuis-Comoy at thirty to around fifty dollars. You could start with a few cobs and a few briars and go for a few years, learning a lot for a reasonable amount of outlay.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I always recommend to the new smoker that their first briar pipe should be a Savinelli. They are a consistent good smoking pipe expecially for the money. You will get a nice open draw which in turn will give you a nice dry smoke. My first pipe was a Savinelli and I still have it today because it smokes so well.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
brass, Does Smokingpipes actually have any of the Bruyere St. Claudes for sale? I see the backstory, but no pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
brownpeter, whatever you select for a pipe or pipes, take your time and go your own way, but feel free to bring questions to Forums. If you feel like it, let us know what you select for pipe and tobacco, and how you like it. Pipe smoking is a gradual process, both getting started and as a pass-time. Studying the online retail sites -- our sponsors among the best -- will give you a ton of information. Don't go whole hog buying stuff, just learn and learn some more, so eventually your choices will be good ones. Welcome aboard. One more hint getting started -- learn a little about pipe filters and don't get a pipe without what you want. Many pipes come without filters, or may be smoked without the filters they are designed to take, or may be smoked with adaptors instead of filters. Various kinds of filters are used in various pipes -- 6mm, 9 mm, balsa, and rock maple inserts. Brands of 6mm and balsa are somewhat interchangeable along with 6 mm adaptors to replace the filter, to make a no filter pipe.

rsavage

Lurker
Jun 7, 2015
Cobs are great. The Missouri meerschaum cobs are fantastic, easy to clean, cheap to replace if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.