Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2019
1zqzza0.jpg

2n9kjg9.jpg

wwn7zm.jpg

qsqv7s.jpg

2uhbzhg.jpg

I know it doesn't look real great, don't have much for tools yet. This was made from a found piece of cherry in my neighbors woodpile using hand saws a dremel and a drill press. The bit I carved out of whitetail antler I found in the woods using the dremel and the furrel is made from a piece of found copper pipe I shined up with some steel wool. I know my pipe making game has a long way to go, but it did smoke very well. The biggest problem I had was wood splitting. It was much taller but I cut a split out. It started cracking again so I plugged it and sealed it. Will just keep it around on display because it's my first. Really from my perspective, wood selection was my biggest flaw, not that it was cherry, but that it cracked. It's also my first woodworking project so any tips and hints would be appreciated.

Mar 25, 2019
Thanks for the feedback. I do wish I could smoke out of it, but I would rather have it as a conversation piece and try to keep it at least looking nice, than to continue to apply heat and ruin 2+ years of drying wood and days of work. I'm glad you like the antler, it's the direction I want to go in using all raw, naturally occurring materials.

Mar 25, 2019
It would be nice to be guided in the direction of some good tools to have for pipe making, I don't have much, and with no woodworking experience I really have no clue.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It would be nice to be guided in the direction of some good tools to have for pipe making, I don't have much, and with no woodworking experience I really have no clue.
Check these guys out. Love that antler stem!
Vermont Freehand

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
There is a pipe makers forum (www.pipemakersforum.com) with more info then you will ever need on tools and methods etc.

I think the fact that you did make something with the materials and tools you had on hand is great, good for you! Hopefully the first of many.
Isaac

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Very nice. Every pipe maker starts somewhere, and that is a good looking beginning. Keep it up!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have to ask because of your screen name, were you on LSD when you carved it?
Seriously, that antler stem is interesting, like a take on the horn stems you can get. There are plenty of carvers on here who can guide you in the right direction. I'm thinking of the guy in Vietnam specifically, what's his name guys?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I think you did a great job. It's interesting, it's one of a kind and you made it yourself...well done. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The antler is a daring departure, and the wood looks well-shaped, even if it was unpredictable. You could really work some briar.

Mar 25, 2019
The antler is a daring departure, and the wood looks well-shaped, even if it was unpredictable. You could really work some briar.
Mike, you are thinking of bienden, aka "Black Sea". He's got serious skills.
I found the antler and thought I would like it as a bit, the idea just kind of progressed from there.
Black Sea makes some incredible stuff, I've seen some browsing the forum. I can only hope to make pipes that beautiful one day.

Mar 25, 2019
Are you saying briar is easier to work with? All I had for sanding on this one was a dremel, I now have a belt sander with a 6" wheel. I'm thinking about outfitting the 6" with hook and loop so I can easily change between sanding and buffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.