PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Hey all, was out for lunch with the wife and boy when we stopped uin at the local B&M just out of curiosity. I have been thinking about adding a Pete to my modest stable and found a Standard System 301 which fit the bill and budget quite nicely. I will try to post some pics soon, but wanted to share my new addition with you guys and gals.
I have had a thing for Pete's for a while but could never justify pulling the trigger for some reason. But now I have! Any recommendations on tobacco type pairings for the systems or are they decent all rounders?

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Congrats Alex! The big pot shaped 301 smokes great. I have two of them except one is just an "01", a Spigot but the very same shape bowl. English blends smoke awesome in the shape and I have dedicated my Spigot 01 to Latakia blends.
Enjoy your new Pete and post up a picture for sure.
Edit: I think you are right the systems are an all around type of pipe.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congratulations Alex. I am a fan of Peterson and have several, but no system pipe yet. Someday. :puffy:

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Make sure to wipe the stain out of the inside of the bowl with some whiskey or something or your Pete will taste aweful for a long time. Keep wiping it out till you see wood.
Congrats on a great pipe!!!

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Pack that thing full of Irish Flake and have a nice 8 hour smoke!

Dec 24, 2012
Congrats. Would love to see a pic. I love the classic styling of Peterson pipes. The ones I have are all great smokers.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Yeah, we need to see a pic of you smoking it with a big smile on your face. Someday I will own a Peterson and would love to try one of their system pipes on my collection of aros. Happy puffing alex!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Never saw the need to wipe the bowl and never found a blend that didn't work well, particularly if you add a pint of Guinness as you smoke. Enjoy! Also a bit of "The Dubliners" in the background will widen the experience considerably.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pots do a nice job on English blends, if you enjoy them. Nighcap, 965, Fox and Hound, GPL or Sutliff Westminster, or

whatever strikes your fancy. A little wider bowl lets the several tobaccos open out and fully "sing." And/or some of

the CD burley blends, Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley, Pegasus and others.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Well alex, it is all your fault. I got the bug and couldn't resist bidding on a Peterson 309, and I won! It will be my first Pete also. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PETERSON-039-S-SYSTEM-STANDARD-309-PIPE-WITH-HALLMARKED-BAND-PIPESTUD-/151427629874?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=SkErVuqBub1UgyGyPIKTH06A1pg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
On a visit to Niagara on the lake I picked up a Peterson system 303 P-lip. I was curious about the system pipes and the P-lip. Turns out its a great pipe!!

Congrats on your first Pete!!

Not sure about which tobacco though, still figuring out what's okay(I got a tin of grousemoore with the pipe)

groovesmith75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2014
I have a few petes and I love the way they hang and their very light. even my non standard pipes have a small space for the accumulation of the wet tobacoo

Status
Not open for further replies.