Lurker
Apr 21, 2013
J. Parker's "Jove"

WP_20130523_075.jpg

WP_20130525_026.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have worked with Osage Orange. It grows around the Midwest. Indians used to make bows out of it. Farmers make fence posts of it. It will last forever. The barbed wire will give out before the posts. It is extremely hard, so I assume it would make a long lasting pipe. The color in the picture is very accurate. It will gradually turn to a darker color, but still looks good. It also goes by the name of Hedge.
Rekrap21,does it give any flavor changes as you smoke it?
Winton

rekrap21

Lurker
Apr 21, 2013
I was smoking montego bay in this photo. Thanks Winton for your accurate description here - I can honestly say that I sense no flavor changes and unlike the olive wood we've used recently, has no smell as it's being carved on either.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Here is a link to a lumber website. This wood is comparable to mulberry and black locust in appearance and workability. It is comparable to hickory for strength. Also it has one of the highest BTU outputs for any wood in North America. I have turned all the woods mentioned above. I like Osage Orange the best. The appearance is the best. I might have to try making a pipe out of the wood. I am sure I have some in my wood stash.
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/osage-orange/
ps. Whenever I work with this wood, my shop looks like it has been visited by pixie, sharing it's yellow magic dust everywhere.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice Osage rekrap. It is a cool wood and one of my favorites. Winton, wood data base is a great resource. I love that web site.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I had a friend who recently passed away that used to make native american peace pipes out of osage orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.