PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Decided I needed to correct a storage and organization issue at my office. I keep a lot of my blends there, as lately I do most of my smoking outside after lunch or in the afternoon for a good way to relax with a lot of deadlines approaching.
So, I decided to build a rack, based off another design I found elsewhere and then reverse engineered it to come with what I wanted as far as storage goes. I made it with 3/4" x 10" white pine common boards with the exception of some trim pieces to accent the rack. Add a hinge, a rolling catch, some beaded panel and some new wood screws and that's about all my supplies.
This was a weekends worth of work, but I still have more trim to cut and I have to stain it, but it's about 95% done right now.
Without further ado, my new handmade pipe rack:
20181104_112340-600x291.jpg

20181104_112352-460x600.jpg

20181104_163110-487x600.jpg

20181104_163124-412x600.jpg

Never mind the pegs sticking up in this one, the glue was still drying on the plugs. Should have that sanded down tonight and have more trim on it. Might be able to stain in the next day or so.
20181105_081958-496x600.jpg

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Man, that is looking awesome, nice work! :clap:

I always thought it would be nice to have a pipe rack/cabinet.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks guys!
@bluegrasspipe, Thanks! I do need something, to keep it organized, it's kind of getting out of control and I need a single place to keep it all together and tidy.
@npod, Thank you sir! I do enjoy it, so it's always a nice relaxing task to putter about the garage and make something from wood. I have a ton of scrapes and just make whatever I want/need a lot of the time. Build my own dining room table earlier this year and used the scraps to build a side table that I had been wanting to go beside the couch. So I got to build a table for around $150 then got a side table out of it for free.
@upnorth1, I think so, but I won't know for sure until I get it in here. Right now, the cabinet portion could hold about 18 4 oz. jelly jars, or about half that and several tins. Probably won't ever have it completely full, but the plan is to keep all my larger jars at home, then keep only the 4 oz. jars here. When I get low, I'll just take the small jar home, fill it, bring it back each time and I'm good.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
That is a very nice rack/cabinet. Well done. From experience, I might recommend more horizontal space between the divots and the curve in the upper part of the rack. You may be fine because the angle of the picture may be off or your pipes may work great, but I have found some pipes tip over that vertical.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
From experience, I might recommend more horizontal space between the divots and the curve in the upper part of the rack.
Yeah, I saw that the distance was a little close, but I tested a few of my pipes against it and they seem fine. If/when I build more of them, I'll likely increase the distance. This one being my first, it was kind of a learning experience for what to do and not to do. I need to come up with a good tool to create the divots in the bottom plate for the bowls too. There were simply dremeled out, but I've seen others that looked a whole lot better. This being a first attempt, I think it turned out okay.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That's very cool! There were some guys building racks like that (and big ones too) that I believe went by the name "Two Cousins." They would finish the racks in a way that they looked very old / antique. I wanted one, but never bought one, and they quit making them a couple years ago.
If you wanted to, I bet you could sell quite a few of those.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I believe went by the name "Two Cousins."
Did they look like these?
5a96f512a327db085e76d561a47fe4eb--pipe-rack-pipe-smoking.jpg

a1d8b2351e231224479f934e0de27369--pipe-rack-pipe-smoking.jpg

Because they were the ones that inspired my design. I wanted one too after I saw a lot of them, so I decided to reverse engineer some that they had made and came up with my own version. I don't think the cabinet storage on theirs was as large as what I was wanting, so I determined the dimensions of what I wanted to store and went from there. Everything else was built off those first dimensions.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Yes, those are exactly what I'm talking about. Really cool old-looking seven day pipe racks. Again, well done!

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Sweet! I like the hinge idea better than a pull-out drawer. Maximizes the storage space. Looking forward to seeing it finished. That will look good wherever you decide to place it, office or home.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
You can definitely see the inspiration, but if they aren't making them anymore, you can't be stepping on anyone's toes anyway. Heh. I like the idea of your larger shelf underneath.
Yeah, I thought about that, but then after much searching I couldn't find them at all, so I just said to hell with it and went ahead and built it. I just really liked the way it looked. It was pretty much a perfect design for what I wanted.
Wow! That is an awesome rack/cabinet. Good job!
Thanks Scott! I appreciate it!
Sweet! I like the hinge idea better than a pull-out drawer. Maximizes the storage space. Looking forward to seeing it finished. That will look good wherever you decide to place it, office or home.
Yeah, I had considered a drawer, but I decided against it for exactly the reason you mentioned. I think I determined on a 15" wide by 6" tall by 9" deep cabinet. After measuring my jelly jars, they're right at 3" in diameter and about 2-1/4" tall, so I should easily be able to fit about 3 tall, 3 deep, starting from one side, and then 9" is roughly the same diameter as two tins pushed together, so I can fit two tins deep inside. The designs I had been seeing just weren't quite large enough for what I want to keep on hand. I like smoking a lot of different things and I like having them available to me when I want them.
OUTSTANDING ... I like the finishing details on it, paint and lacquer.
Well, she ain't finished yet. I plan to stain it a nice red oak or honey color when I'm all done. I think it'll look nice against the hunter green I chose for the accents.

Status
Not open for further replies.