PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipevilleworld

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2011
I've been using 5/8" wooden dowels cut to 3 inch and 4 inch lengths so far so... LOL. Nothing too interesting yet.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks much Dave. If only I had access as easy as yours to horn. It seems like a great material to work with.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I started with a roofing nail, then progressed to a 3" nail. Then I bought a pipe tool. Eventually I will think of a tamper when I am near the lathe.
I will try the UncleArthur style. Like any magic, it is easy once you know the secret. But the execution can take lots of practice.
Winton

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
matt get out in the bush. there are antlers all over Canada. deer shed them every late winter. i found several bear hunting in Saskatchewan.

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
Bubba, what did you use as the metal part of the tamper? is it just a nail stuck in at the end of the stem? Great idea for a busted up pipe! Nice work fellas

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Thanks Greggors, you need two items. A used .223 or 5.56 case and a wife who is willing to donate her brass sewing stiletto. The sewing stiletto made the perfect pick and fit the case with just the slightest squeeze. I had to trim the pick a little shorter and formed the "bullet" head with a grinder, some filing, and fine sandpaper. The shell was free from picking up brass at my range, the pick was a little more costly to replace, about $15, so I really haven't ventured into making many more.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
brass rod , an ice pick, some solder and the equipment to grind things down. Should replace the high priced sewing goodie. Far cheaper than 15 bucks.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I too use brass rod for the picks in my tampers.Easy to obtain (got mine on ebay) and easy to work with even if you don't have a grinder or soldering equipment.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i have been wanting to make some tampers out of found items, just haven't come across anything that made me think tamper. thanks for the motivation guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.